Making phone turn on automatically and launch a specific app?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I found a good tachometer app on android which includes a compass and some cool stuff. I have spare android phones around and I want to install one of them into my car, the issue here is I'm trying to find a way to make the phone turn on automatically when it gets power and then launches the app, and finally shuts down when it doesn't get charging power anymore. Does anyone know how to make this?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
That would require hardware specific changes to the phone, where getting power through the USB trips a trigger on the power switch. When a phone is shut off, it's shut off. Period. At best it may be monitoring the power button with a very minimal process, but otherwise the processor and other hardware are powered down. I have heard of a phone turning on in the past when plugged in, but only in the context of something being defective because that shouldn't be the car under normal circumstances.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Additionally - the boot time of most phones is not short so if it's actually powered off you're going to be waiting possibly some time before it's booted and ready to start your trip.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
That would require hardware specific changes to the phone, where getting power through the USB trips a trigger on the power switch. When a phone is shut off, it's shut off. Period. At best it may be monitoring the power button with a very minimal process, but otherwise the processor and other hardware are powered down. I have heard of a phone turning on in the past when plugged in, but only in the context of something being defective because that shouldn't be the car under normal circumstances.

Windows phones powered on automatically when you plugged them in to charge..... I hated that feature lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20