Multiple DCIM folders on SD Card

ryuushinno

Aug 8, 2021
Visit site
Hi, i got this annoying problem when i try to take pictures from my camera app where it creates lots and lots of DCIM folder for example, i shoot multiple pics and then in my SD Card i see:

DCIM (1)
DCIM (2)
DCIM (3)
DCIM (4)
DCIM (5)
DCIM (6)

Some of them are empty and some got one of the picture i just shoot (inside there's a 100MEDIA folder), i cannot find any solution about it.
Also i did chance my old SD card, but i never tried before to shoot pics directly into the SD Card, i had it on internal memory before.

My android phone is an HTC U11 running on Android 9

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, i got this annoying problem when i try to take pictures from my camera app where it creates lots and lots of DCIM folder for example, i shoot multiple pics and then in my SD Card i see:

DCIM (1)
DCIM (2)
DCIM (3)
DCIM (4)
DCIM (5)
DCIM (6)

Some of them are empty and some got one of the picture i just shoot (inside there's a 100MEDIA folder), i cannot find any solution about it.
Also i did chance my old SD card, but i never tried before to shoot pics directly into the SD Card, i had it on internal memory before.

My android phone is an HTC U11 running on Android 9
So right now you have the camera app to save to your sd card ? Maybe that sd card corrupt you mentioned it was old?

ryuushinno

Aug 8, 2021
Visit site
So right now you have the camera app to save to your sd card ? Maybe that sd card corrupt you mentioned it was old?

I don't think so, because the sd is completely new, i changed from an old 32gb which brand i dont remember to a all new samsung 128gb, but other apps work just fine, is just the photo app who goes crazy :'( , Spotify for example, did save las 14gb of downloaded music just fine

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't think so, because the sd is completely new, i changed from an old 32gb which brand i dont remember to a all new samsung 128gb, but other apps work just fine, is just the photo app who goes crazy :'( , Spotify for example, did save las 14gb of downloaded music just fine
Did you buy the SD card from a reputable source or from an eBay seller? It could be counterfeit.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Open the camera app and check in settings if its internal or sd card set to?

ryuushinno

Aug 8, 2021
Visit site
Open the camera app and check in settings if its internal or sd card set to?

Yes, in fact on internal doesn't give me any problem at all

Can you test your old SD card and see if it creates multiple DCIM directories there as well?

I think i never tried, ill do it and see what happen...

Forgot to mention, the SD Card is in exFat and not FAT32, i don't know if that might be the problem since everything else is working fine with the new SD card but only the built-in camera app is struggling

ryuushinno

Aug 8, 2021
Visit site
So, doing more test, i'm almost sure the built-in camera app does not support exFat as good as it should, the old card was in FAT32 and worked fine, then i search for another camera app on the playstore and found OpenCamera and worked perfectly with the new 128gb SD Card, and it makes sense because the built-in app doesn't get updated, at leat not constantly so i will use the built-in camera just for some features it has on internal memory but if i discover i can use the same features in OpenCamera(still learning to configure it, has lots of options) then is a no brainer which one i will keep using for everything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21