Best way to keep battery healthy (new phone) - Overcharging?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi
I had a S9+ for about 3 years, and when i got rid of it (a few weeks ago), the battery life was horrible. i could use the phone for 30 minutes, and the battery would go from 90% down to 30%. I was charging it 3 or 4 times a day.

The last year I'd had the phone, instead of leaving it on a charger every night, I had a smart outlet that would charge it for 2 hours, then shut off (regardless what % the battery charge was). In those 2 hours, that was enough to charge it fully, and then keep it at full until the charger shut off. My reasoning was that bouncing against 100% was probably affecting battery life.

On this new S21 Ultra I got about 3 weeks ago, I am paranoid about damaging the battery. I absolutely need it to function for the next 2 years, so want to be sure my charging habits allow for it.

My question - i've heard some sources say that the battery performs the longest between 20% and 80%, and that 'charging cycles' between these percentages don't affect the phone as much as full charges and full discharges.

Is that true?
Obviously there will be times i'm going to be out for the day and need it at 100%, but will i cause additional wear on the battery by keeping it between 20 and 80%? Even though this might mean charging it for short periods of time 2 or 3 times during the day?

Or should i plan to charge it to 100%, and then use it throughout the day until it's down to 10-15% or less?

New phone 3 weeks old and want to be sure i do whatever i can to ensure battery longevity :)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Keep the phone from extreme heat , if you game on the device it will degrade battery life , you did good 3 years with s9 battery should expect same with your new device.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Ideally, to get the longest overall battery lifespan, the recommendation would be to keep the battery between 80% and 40%, but from a practical standpoint, this isn't very feasible. My recommendation is to let it charge to 100%, and use it normally until it's down to 20-30%, then start charging again. That kind of behavior should get you through 2-3 years with the battery health down to maybe 90% at worst (measured by an app like AccuBattery). An additional strategy would be not to let the phone charge overnight -- let it charge up until you go to sleep, then unplug it. Upon awakening in the morning, plug it in again and let it charge the rest of the way up to 100% while you get ready for the day.

AccuBattery has a feature that will give you an alert when the battery is at a set level you choose, so that's another way to manage how much you charge it up to. More and more manufacturers are building this into the system as well (I think Samsung has that feature).

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The others have pretty much answered it. I wouldn't be too concerned about hitting exactly the 40-80% marks, as long as you stay around there, and don't let it dwell long term with a full charge. You don't really start negatively impacting battery life until you get down around 25%. If you really want to get onto the technical nitty gritty, this article was written by the people that test batteries for a living.

https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-808-how-to-prolong-lithium-based-batteries

Their recommendations are even more strict, but they are coming at it from a absolute best longevity standpoint. The guidelines you see talked about for phones are basically a balancing act between best life, expected phone lifespan, and convenience. For example, no one would want to plug and unplug a phone all day to keep it in the mid 60's charge level (not to mention wearing out the charging ports quicker). Going longer trades a negligible amount of life for greater time between charges and better usability.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The others have pretty much answered it. I wouldn't be too concerned about hitting exactly the 40-80% marks, as long as you stay around there, and don't let it dwell long term with a full charge. You don't really start negatively impacting battery life until you get down around 25%. If you really want to get onto the technical nitty gritty, this article was written by the people that test batteries for a living.

https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-808-how-to-prolong-lithium-based-batteries

Their recommendations are even more strict, but they are coming at it from a absolute best longevity standpoint. The guidelines you see talked about for phones are basically a balancing act between best life, expected phone lifespan, and convenience. For example, no one would want to plug and unplug a phone all day to keep it in the mid 60's charge level (not to mention wearing out the charging ports quicker). Going longer trades a negligible amount of life for greater time between charges and better usability.
85%
This new with Samsung

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=1029914

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Really , hey as long as they giving it as a option now .
Yeah, I think there's was the first with such an option. You can also set a time you want the phone charged by for those that charge overnight. Let's say you want to be fully charged at 8:00 a.m. Plug in when you go to bed, and it will artificially throttle the charge based on the current time and charge level so that it hits 100% right at 8:00 a.m, preventing the 100% all night scenario.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, I think there's was the first with such an option. You can also set a time you want the phone charged by for those that charge overnight. Let's say you want to be fully charged at 8:00 a.m. Plug in when you go to bed, and it will artificially throttle the charge based on the current time and charge level so that it hits 100% right at 8:00 a.m, preventing the 100% all night scenario.
Yeah my pixel has that I think when you set a alarm