Nokia 3.4 security update version stuck...

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hello,
My nokia 3.4 (android version 10) is stuck on the september 5 2020 security update. This is of course making it show a red icon.

If I "check for updates" either manually or just leaving it alone (it seems to check at least once per day on its own) it claims I am already up to date which is obviously false.

I've been told to VPN to another country, I have tried this over several weeks with several countries on most continents with no success.

I would like to just get this resolved please.

Thanks,

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What red icon are you referring to? If the System Update menu in your system settings tells you there are no available updates, then there are no official updates for your specific phone. It's possible for system updates to be regional, and specific for only certain phone variants or carriers.

Was this phone originally sold by a carrier, or was it sold as unlocked by Nokia or some other retailer? If the phone was originally from a carrier, it may have to be on that carrier's network to get the official update.

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

MelanieTanaka

Aug 31, 2021
Visit site
Hi,

Took a while but I found out how to get here after having registered :p

This is the icon I am referring to:
gZyLeS6.png

The Nokia 3.4 was purchased unlocked from amazon.

This issue seems to be occurring to others with the same phone for various security update releases (there are much more recent versions available than september 2020), but I have not found any threads or other sources where a solution was offered. Most are dead ends while others claim to have just magically worked after a time.

I purchased this phone in March of this year and is is stuck since then on the september 5 2020 update. Basically I have not had a security update since purchasing the phone so that is kind of worrying.

So far the only thing I have been told to try is to use a VPN to make my phone thing it's in another country but that hasn't worked at all.

I am also worried this same issue will prevent me updating to android 11, as that version of android has started to roll out for Nokia 3.4 as of late august.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

Took a while but I found out how to get here after having registered

This is the icon I am referring to:
View attachment 336520

The Nokia 3.4 was purchased unlocked from amazon.

This issue seems to be occurring to others with the same phone for various security update releases (there are much more recent versions available than september 2020), but I have not found any threads or other sources where a solution was offered. Most are dead ends while others claim to have just magically worked after a time.

I purchased this phone in March of this year and is is stuck since then on the september 5 2020 update. Basically I have not had a security update since purchasing the phone so that is kind of worrying.

So far the only thing I have been told to try is to use a VPN to make my phone thing it's in another country but that hasn't worked at all.

I am also worried this same issue will prevent me updating to android 11, as that version of android has started to roll out for Nokia 3.4 as of late august.

Hi, welcome to AC!
Which country you from?
Try going into safe mode and checking for updates if not when you exit out of safe mode try checking again.

Last edited:

Madd62

Mr. Wonderful
May 31, 2021
Visit site
I get that red label on the same settings page on my 2018 model Nokia 7 Plus but that's because it will no longer get patches which is fine (I have other phones).

That's not to dismay you though. I bought that Nokia sealed new in box in a department store sale, and it took 10 - 14 weeks for any Android update or patch to kick in from the year before.

Different scenario in your case, and I can't point to how or when you will get android 11 and the first patch update (the 3.4 was released in October).

For some reason it's not triggering an update from Nokia, and I don't know how that works.
The Play Store System is up to date.

Are you set to update via cell data and wifi, and it's online most of the time.

There's something fishy about their updating machinery though they are promising longer updates on new models.

Possibly try to uninstall Play System patches and see if that works.

So you live in Canada and got it from Amazon Canada with Nokia as the seller?

I'll come back if I remember more about my new but 1 year old Nokia"s delays.

Last edited:

MelanieTanaka

Aug 31, 2021
Visit site
I gave safe mode a try but that didn't allow any new updates. Left it running in safe mode all night until now and did random manual checks.
Can't run my VPN in safe mode so couldn't test that.

I have no idea what else to try at this point.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I did, Also tried again this morning soon as I woke up and nothing new available.

It does the same. I only recently tried with VPN out of desperation but with/without is the same results.
Can try one more thing, go to settings>apps>system apps >scroll down to you see software update , might be 2 and tap them clear their data and force stop them and check manually for updates

MelanieTanaka

Aug 31, 2021
Visit site
Can try one more thing, go to settings>apps>system apps >scroll down to you see software update , might be 2 and tap them clear their data and force stop them and check manually for updates

In the list of apps I did "show system" to show hidden system apps and in the entire list I see nothing that looks like "software" or "update" or anything like that anywhere. Can this be the cause of the problem?