Notifications not updating? (Even when viewed)

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hello,
Galaxy S21 Ultra

I've noticed the notification icons show on the various apps even after i go into them to view whatever messages, alerts, etc are there. They stay there until i swipe down and 'clear' the notifications.

Example: I receive 15 emails, so my mail app shows the red '15' next to it. I go into the app, read and respond to emails, but the 15 icon is still over the app. Until i swipe down and clear the notifications

So i frequently have a situation where, like now for instance, i have "Teams" with a 50 icon over it, even though i've gone through everything, but now i have to selectively go through the notification pane and swipe right to clear notifications, being careful not to swipe to clear one that i haven't already viewed, or it goes away and i risk missing it.

I don't think my S9+ did this, but it might have and i'm just forgetting

Any way around this or is it just by design?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central.

Yes that is the behavior of the app badge. I believe this is because app badges are driven by the notifications. Looking at it in reverse, I cannot think of a single app that I've used that keeps the badge count if I swipe the notification away. Sorry but that's just the way it is. If you want to change the app badge count clear the notification shade.

While I can't speak for the S9 but from the S10 to now this has been the case. I'm pretty sure this was the case for the HTC phones I used before moving to a Samsung device. I'm a bit surprised that your notification shade doesn't consolidate the notifications into one notification but that may be app dependent. For instance, I use Tapatalk to access this forum and it will keep the notifications separate until I get to around 5 or perhaps it is until a certain amount of time has passed, either way, they then become one notification that I can just swipe away.

To reply to this thread and receive notifications when others leave replies, please create an account. This link will help you do that... https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community-new-post.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34