How can I have only my fingerprint for my lock screen?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which phone? Are you saying that you don't want to be asked to enter your backup PIN/password/pattern on occasion? I don't think that's possible, since it's intended to reinforce the security on your phone. If you have trouble remembering the passwords you create, then I suggest writing them down somewhere and keeping them safe.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
If it is too difficult to remember a password use a pattern instead. Unfortunately there is no way to enable fingerprint only access. Android will not allow biometric unlock only. Not to be funny but you would have to get an iPhone for that.

Best wishes

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
If it is too difficult to remember a password use a pattern instead. Unfortunately there is no way to enable fingerprint only access. Android will not allow biometric unlock only. Not to be funny but you would have to get an iPhone for that.

Best wishes

I'm using fingerprint only on the S9+. After a restart I need to enter a pattern or password.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm using fingerprint only on the S9+. After a restart I need to enter a pattern or password.
Right, but at some point something other than biometrics is needed. I'm pretty sure with iPhone you can just set Face ID and that's your ticket in power on, unlock and everything. Android requires pass, pin or pattern for power on and randomly, at least with Samsung. If I check the time or notifications too many times I'll have to use my pattern when I actually want to unlock the phone.