How and why did device key string turn my Wi-Fi on when it doesn't have permission to do that?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

In my Wi-Fi control history it said my wifi was turned on by devicekeystring today. I previously revoked all permissions for changing my Wi-Fi settings but I double checked anyways because sometimes my phone does weird things. However the settings said they had no permission to control my Wi-Fi still however it did turn it on anyways.

charley000

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I have the same question. I have a new Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra. Today it suddenly said that Wi-Fi was turned on by devicekeystring. I can't find anything about what this app is, what it does and why.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have the same question. I have a new Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra. Today it suddenly said that Wi-Fi was turned on by devicekeystring. I can't find anything about what this app is, what it does and why.
If you go to settings >apps>3 dots upper right corner tap>special access>wifi control

Device key string there but can't toggle off , system appScreenshot_20230215_110527_Settings.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using AC Forums mobile app

charley000

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Right. But I still don't know what this app does and what it is for. Temporarily I went into settings>apps, turned on show system apps, went down to DeviceKeystring and disabled the "change system settings" permission.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I did a search, but couldn't find anything. But it's definitely a Samsung system app.

When you use any modern piece of tech, you have to accept that there will be many system apps that you (nor I) will understand. There are lots of components to the system, and these kinds of things aren't necessarily going to be laid out on a website for a layperson to understand. Think of a Windows PC -- there are literally hundreds of thousands of system files that make up Windows, and the average person is not going to understand what the vast majority of those files are for, nor will they be able to find adequate details using a web search.

charley000

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I know what a Device Key String is. I don't know what the DeviceKeystring app is. It might be related to Settings>Connections>Wi-Fi>(3 dots)Intelligent Wi-Fi>Turn Wi-Fi on/off automatically. But am hoping someone knows the answer if that is what DeviceKeystring app is for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance