Constant "power supply" notification banner

Ruru366

Oct 16, 2021
Visit site
I have an LG K31 and lately there has been a "Power Supply" notification living in my pull down menu. I can't get rid of it. It's asking me to select usb options but there's only one option which is to charge the phone. It also will not charge while turned on, I have to completely power it off first.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I would strongly recommend that you do two things;

First check the charging port for debris and blow it out or carefully remove anything you may notice there. If your device is acting as though something is plugged into it when there is not it could be a sign that something is in the port that causing contact between two terminals and this poses not only a risk to the device but also a personal risk as short circuiting a battery can lead to explosion.

Second I would take the device to your carriers service center, if possible, and have a trained tech take a look at it to verify that the device is safe to use and charge. While it could be a bug or other issue, the fact that you have to have the device turned off to charge is a sign that the issue is not software related. regardless of a software bug being hardwired into the battery should cause it charge no matter what. The circuitry that controls charging is between the battery and the charger and the battery not charging means that one of the two may be damaged. In this case probably the battery since it is reading charging when it is not connected to anything.

More questions;

Have you noticed the device getting hot at any time? While using or charging?

Have you noticed a reduction in battery life?

Have you checked the plug on the cable? While USB-C is a much better connection than Micro USB and far less likely to become damaged in comparison to Micro USB, the opening on both the plug end and the device port are much bigger and more open and either can pick up debris without the user necessarily noticing.

How long have you been noticing this?

You mention that when not plugged in you are presented with only one option under the USB symbol, which is to charge, but do you get other options when actually plugged in to a USB that is plugged into a laptop or PC? Plugging it into a wall outlet shouldn't offer options. Only when connected to certain devices do these options appear, this is why I'm specifically asking about what you see when you are plugged into a laptop or PC.

Let us know what you find.

Ruru366

Oct 16, 2021
Visit site
(Posted earlier, now with more detail)
For the past couple of days my LG K31 has been displaying a "Power Supply" notification constantly and will not charge while turned on. When I tap the notification it comes up with an option menu but the only option is "charge phone", though there isn't even a cord plugged in. I cannot get rid of the notification and it's there whether it's plugged in or not. The phone does not get hot at all and is otherwise perfectly functional, other than needing to be powered off in order to charge. I thought it may have been debris in the charge port, but considering it still charges when off that can't be the case. I have tried multiple cords and blocks but nothing. They work fine with my other phone so it's not them either.

Ruru366

Oct 16, 2021
Visit site
I have never plugged this phone into a PC before which is why I'm baffled by the notification. It just happened randomly when I plugged it into the wall once and never left. At first it was charging fine but starting yesterday morning it stopped charging while on. It doesn't get hot at all and the battery life depletes at its normal pace.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Can try this , go settings>apps>3 dots upper right corner tap>system apps tap>find USB settings then tap it >clear data and force stop it and see if still happening

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What happens if you swipe that notification partway, and then tap the gear icon. Do you see an option to turn off that notification, or make it Silent?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang