Android 10 Home Screen has icon with small dark square

Georgia Evans

Oct 17, 2021
Visit site
A couple icons have an overlapping small dark square overlapping the upper left corner of the icons. What is this? This is a Samsung A11 TracFone Android 10. This is my first post A11 icons.jpg

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central.

Unfortunately I was not able to identify what these icons mean but from what you've shown here I believe we might be able to make some assumptions.

First they are tiny smartphone icons. The white boarder is the edge of the phone, you can see the home button at the bottom of them, and the grey square represents the screen of the phone.

They only seem to appear on icons that make calls or that would open the phone app. So my guess is they indicate icons that were created and/or added by either the phone or contacts app and they will make a call when pressed. I don't know maybe it's a reminder that if you press this icon it will make a call.

If they appear on any other type of app icon this may be wrong so let me know if they appear on any other type of icon, like Facebook, Chrome or Linkedin. Post screenshots if you would to show it in other places.

Georgia Evans

Oct 17, 2021
Visit site
Yes it does look like a minimized tablet. I just noticed it on the image when it was posted. It was enlarged on the screen! I am not aware of a feature "text and talk". But I will look for it.

I also like the idea that it is only on icons that use or are related to phone calls. And it is good to use that as a reminder that a phone call will result if accessed. I remember making the second icon to call my husband. Don't remember how, but I will try to do it again and see if I get the same square in upper left of icon. There are no other icons with the square. I also have an icon for Google Voice and it does not have the square. But I don't believe that GV access the Phone app?

Thanks so much for your excellent ideas. I have to admit my curiosity was getting the best of me. I couldn't let it go.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
...But I don't believe that GV access the Phone app?

Thanks so much for your excellent ideas. I have to admit my curiosity was getting the best of me. I couldn't let it go.

Google Voice is it's own phone app, messaging and Voicemail interface so I wouldn't expect it to be included.

I know how it is when you encounter something that you just have to know more about. LOL.

Just let us know if you have more questions or get a different result from adding another contact.

Best wishes.

Georgia Evans

Oct 17, 2021
Visit site
Thank you for the link. Sounds very interesting since we have a Tab2 and Samsung phones. But our phones are not listed on supported devices. And realistically I don't need another feature to potentially add to the knowledge required to use all my devices!! I did save the link for the future Thanks again!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03