Speech services downloading English update stuck

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a 6 Pro from Verizon. Every time I restart I get the following notification. "Speech services by Google downloading English (US) update, waiting for network connection."

Of course I'm on the Verizon network and the download never starts. My first thought was that something was set to only download over wifi, so I went to Google settings and changed the Mobile data and Messaging setting to wifi and cellular under Data Management. No change. If I switch to wifi, the notification goes away, like it finished the download, but on restart the message comes back.

Anyone else getting this notification it have any ideas how to make it finish the download?

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
re:

Same here, also on Verizon and tried letting it run on cell data and WiFi and it stayed stuck most of the day yesterday. I killed the process and it has not come back.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
re:

I may have found a fix for this. I went into the actual Google Play Store settings by tapping the circle in the upper right with my Google profile photo in it. In that Settings menu there are Network Preferences. They were all set to download over wifi only. I switched them all to over any network, restarted, then I saw the notice pop up briefly then go away. I restarted again to be sure and it hasn't come back since. That still doesn't explain why it wouldn't go away when I switched to wifi before. If I get the notification again I'll update here.

Gold_Coast

Nov 4, 2021
Visit site
re:

Thanks Davidoo ... identical problem here on Pixel 6 Pro (not on Verizon network ... I'm on Telstra network in Australia.) Your fix in Google Play settings seems to have fixed it for me. Good job.

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
re:

My settings were already set to allow downloads using mobile data and yet this zombie download starts every day when I turn on my phone. If I enable wifi in an attempt to get it to proceed, it disappears. Yet there is no available update I can download manually, also I can't uninstall and reinstall. Has anyone found any other solutions for this annoyance? ATT user in US here.

findingitnecessary

Dec 1, 2021
Visit site
re:

I found the solution. There is a separate setting for wifi/cellular download for speech services, from the Google play store wifi/cellular download.

Search "digital assistant app" in the settings search bar. Both gear icons in this menu, one at the top for which assistant is set for your device, and the bottom gear for speech services, both have options to change download via wifi/cellular.

"Default digital assistant app" gear icon, then "offline speech recognition" midway down, then "auto-update" tab on far right side.

"Voice input" "Speech services by Google" gear icon, then "auto update languages."

Last edited:

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
re:

That's it! It's the SECOND gear icon, the bottom gear for speech services, that conceals the option to download over cellular.
My zombie eventually seems to have died but at least now I have the settings right for when the next update happens.

Harley Hiebert

Dec 5, 2021
Visit site
re:

I found the solution. There is a separate setting for wifi/cellular download for speech services, from the Google play store wifi/cellular download.

Search "digital assistant app" in the settings search bar. Both gear icons in this menu, one at the top for which assistant is set for your device, and the bottom gear for speech services, both have options to change download via wifi/cellular.

"Default digital assistant app" gear icon, then "offline speech recognition" midway down, then "auto-update" tab on far right side.

"Voice input" "Speech services by Google" gear icon, then "auto update languages."

I can't find the search in my settings on my Google play store

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
re:

I can't find the search in my settings on my Google play store

Welcome to Android Central! I believe findingitnecessary meant that the option is in the system settings. Go to Settings>Apps>Default Apps>Digital Assistant Apps, then tap the gear icon next to Voice Input. You can find the Auto Update Languages option there.

RO IHU

Jan 7, 2022
Visit site
re:

Welcome to Android Central! I believe findingitnecessary meant that the option is in the system settings. Go to Settings>Apps>Default Apps>Digital Assistant Apps, then tap the gear icon next to Voice Input. You can find the Auto Update Languages option there.

My phone doesn't have "Default Apps" there.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
re:

Welcome to Android Central! It shouldn't matter if you're on a Samsung phone -- these settings should be in the Google app itself. I can confirm this on my Galaxy A32 5G.

chez6229

Jan 11, 2022
Visit site
None of these paths worked on my S20 (on the Sprint network). I had to go to my phone's Settings > Google > Settings for Google Apps > Search, Assistant & Voice > Voice > Offline Speech Recognition. From there, there are three tabs at the top (Installed, ALL and Auto-Update). Choose the Auto-Update tab and change your selection to the choice in the middle that says "Auto Update languages at any time. Data charges may apply."

Last edited by a moderator:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
re:

None of these paths worked on my S20 (on the Sprint network). I had to go to my phone's Settings > Google > Settings for Google Apps > Search, Assistant & Voice > Voice > Offline Speech Recognition. From there, there are three tabs at the top (Installed, ALL and Auto-Update). Choose the Auto-Update tab and change your selection to the choice in the middle that says "Auto Update languages at any time. Data charges may apply."
Welcome to AC!
I took care the other post for you.

Cat Nip

Jan 11, 2022
Visit site
re:

For those with xiaomi devices
Go to app settings, then manage app, then default settings, look for the assist and voice input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX