Speech services downloading English update stuck

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a 6 Pro from Verizon. Every time I restart I get the following notification. "Speech services by Google downloading English (US) update, waiting for network connection."

Of course I'm on the Verizon network and the download never starts. My first thought was that something was set to only download over wifi, so I went to Google settings and changed the Mobile data and Messaging setting to wifi and cellular under Data Management. No change. If I switch to wifi, the notification goes away, like it finished the download, but on restart the message comes back.

Anyone else getting this notification it have any ideas how to make it finish the download?

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
After doing the software update from Google Play, I went to the Manage Language settings, long press English, uninstall, long press English, update. All seems good now on both my LG V30 and V60.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Welcome to Android Central! I believe findingitnecessary meant that the option is in the system settings. Go to Settings>Apps>Default Apps>Digital Assistant Apps, then tap the gear icon next to Voice Input. You can find the Auto Update Languages option there.

This lovely issue just started on my Samsung Galaxy Tab s3. :( It knocked out 25% of a fully charged battery overnight before I noticed the downloading icon movement in the notification bar this morning. Well, being a member of this great forum I am familiar with the problem.

I followed the above Settings>Apps>Default Apps>Digital Assistant Apps location supplied by @B. Diddy, then selected Manage downloaded languages. I used the long press English, uninstall that @ManiacJoe used, (the post above this one), which rolled backed the updates to the default. I don't use voice on this tablet, so I then went to Auto-Updated & chose Do not auto-updated languages. Next shut down my device, waited 5 minutes, then turned on device.

Waited 30 minutes to make sure that the download didn't return, but all seems good.

Thanks to all, saved me from much stress! :)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re:

This lovely issue just started on my Samsung Galaxy Tab s3. :( It knocked out 25% of a fully charged battery overnight before I noticed the downloading icon movement in the notification bar this morning. Well, being a member of this great forum I am familiar with the problem.

I followed the above Settings>Apps>Default Apps>Digital Assistant Apps location supplied by @B. Diddy, then selected Manage downloaded languages. I used the long press English, uninstall that @ManiacJoe used, (the post above this one), which rolled backed the updates to the default. I don't use voice on this tablet, so I then went to Auto-Updated & chose Do not auto-updated languages. Next shut down my device, waited 5 minutes, then turned on device.

Waited 30 minutes to make sure that the download didn't return, but all seems good.

Thanks to all, saved me from much stress! :)
Should see a olay store update also

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Im surprised i haven't run into this yet , but maybe i had the update , because i run a few devices .

That could be, you were up to date. You stay on top of these things. :)

I didn't have this error show up on my Note 20U or Tab s6 tablet.
It didn't hit my Husbands Samsung s10+ or Tab s7 tablet.

I only use my Tab s3 tablet for games & on camping trips. I rarely turn on the WiFi, but after flipping on the WiFi last night, the problem started.

A

Android Central Question

I have a samsung galaxy note 4 google speech services won't stop downloading

Howl do I stop google speech services from dowmloading

A

Android Central Question

Downloading English Australia update not working

Tried going into default apps and changed to download without wifi, but still won't work. Tried rebooting phone. Tried changing to another language/region. Then rebooting. Tried uninstalling then reinstalling. Nothing is working its been 4 days still trying to download.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
(Whisper: Who’s going to tell B. Diddy that there isn’t no update, he was just dreaming.)
Actually there was an update. See screenshot.
6720aa329e993a8838e143b4aac520b7.jpg

androidlvr77

Feb 7, 2022
Visit site
Re:

Thank you to poster in another thread for posting your fix, which was merged here. That tip fixed mine too. Restarted after making the change and the message went away. I use this particular tablet (I have two others neither with this issue) only twice a month to hear and see what others see and hear while I help co-host Zoom meetings. This stuck download has been here for weeks...till I got off lazy butt, dusted off and pulled the tablet out of the charging station and searched while not actively needing to help host a meeting and found your fix. Annoyance gone. Thx x2

I went into the actual Google Play Store settings by tapping the circle in the upper right with my Google profile photo in it. In that Settings menu there are Network Preferences. They were all set to download over wifi only. I switched them all to over any network, restarted, then I saw the notice pop up briefly then go away.

Last edited: