Wifi network follows me everywhere

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi, for many years now, I have had wifi networks named Shelby and/or Shelby1 that are always in my wifi list no matter where I am. I was sort of hoping with a new phone, the network wouldn't be there anymore, but it is. They literally follow me, which makes me think it's coming from my phone somehow. It seems harmless, as I can just turn wifi off. I can't connect to them because they are passworded. I have done exhaustive searching and no one else seems to have this problem. I just want to know what they are. They're always listed under available networks. There aren't any under "saved."
I have no idea what would be broadcasting them. This has been going on at least 5 years and throughout many new phones. No matter where I am, they're in the "available" list. At home, at work, at the store, etc. I feel pretty certain that my phone is broadcasting them somehow. The network follows me everywhere I go, so it can't really be another device. I always have mobile hotspot turned off too. Thanks for any help

beantownsouth

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site
Hi, for many years now, I have had wifi networks named Shelby and/or Shelby1 that are always in my wifi list no matter where I am. I was sort of hoping with a new phone, the network wouldn't be there anymore, but it is. They literally follow me, which makes me think it's coming from my phone somehow. It seems harmless, as I can just turn wifi off. I can't connect to them because they are passworded. I have done exhaustive searching and no one else seems to have this problem. I just want to know what they are. They're always listed under available networks. There aren't any under "saved."
I have no idea what would be broadcasting them. This has been going on at least 5 years and throughout many new phones. No matter where I am, they're in the "available" list. At home, at work, at the store, etc. I feel pretty certain that my phone is broadcasting them somehow. The network follows me everywhere I go, so it can't really be another device. I always have mobile hotspot turned off too. Thanks for any help

Welcome to Android Central.

You wouldn't happen to own, a Shelby Mustang by any chance, would you?

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
...and you've had two different types of phones show these same WiFi networks around you, and the Wi-Fi networks are always there no matter where you go, and no one else has these listed on their phones around you?

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
...did you use some sort of smart switch program to copy the same apps over to your new phone each time you switched? Have all your phones been the same Android manufacturer (eg: Samsung or LG)?

p826wn

Nov 8, 2021
Visit site
Since this started, I've probably had 3 Samsung s9's (replacements insurance). The last of those was updated to an s10 as far I know. I now own the s21. I don't have any networks in my saved list, so I can't "forget" them, I think. The last few times I used Verizon cloud to copy everything, even though everything was NOT there. I have smartswitch, but I don't believe I've ever used it. The network shows up in my car, at the grocery store, at work, literally every place I go

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211108-190623_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20211108-190623_Settings.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Since this started, I've probably had 3 Samsung s9's (replacements insurance). The last of those was updated to an s10 as far I know. I now own the s21. I don't have any networks in my saved list, so I can't "forget" them, I think. The last few times I used Verizon cloud to copy everything, even though everything was NOT there. I have smartswitch, but I don't believe I've ever used it. The network shows up in my car, at the grocery store, at work, literally every place I go
Can you show a screenshot ?

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=413366

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you have any wearable or otherwise portable devices that might connect via wi-fi, rather than Bluetooth? An example (which I realize wouldn't be your situation) would be a drone.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

What options you get when you long press it?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Do you live in Shelby County, Kentucky?

https://www.shelby.kyschools.us/sit...B3E108&RenderLoc=0&FlexDataID=21811&PageID=19

https://scplibrary.net/wireless-hotspots-available-at-shelby-county-public-library/

If not, I'd still check around where you live/work for similar public Wi-Fi offerings. Otherwise, I would suggest you drive out to the middle of nowhere, park and check your phone. If you still see it, take everything electronic out of your pockets and carry your phone a long way away from your vehicle and check again (especially if it has a Wi-Fi option and you bought it used). I don't see how this could be coming from your phone, so it has to be something external.

p826wn

Nov 8, 2021
Visit site
Do you live in Shelby County, Kentucky?

https://www.shelby.kyschools.us/sit...B3E108&RenderLoc=0&FlexDataID=21811&PageID=19

https://scplibrary.net/wireless-hotspots-available-at-shelby-county-public-library/

If not, I'd still check around where you live/work for similar public Wi-Fi offerings. Otherwise, I would suggest you drive out to the middle of nowhere, park and check your phone. If you still see it, take everything electronic out of your pockets and carry your phone a long way away from your vehicle and check again (especially if it has a Wi-Fi option and you bought it used). I don't see how this could be coming from your phone, so it has to be something external.

No, New York

Last edited by a moderator: