12-06-2021 05:29 AM
28 12
tools Reply
    Hi, for many years now, I have had wifi networks named Shelby and/or Shelby1 that are always in my wifi list no matter where I am. I was sort of hoping with a new phone, the network wouldn't be there anymore, but it is. They literally follow me, which makes me think it's coming from my phone somehow. It seems harmless, as I can just turn wifi off. I can't connect to them because they are passworded. I have done exhaustive searching and no one else seems to have this problem. I just want to know what they are. They're always listed under available networks. There aren't any under "saved."
    I have no idea what would be broadcasting them. This has been going on at least 5 years and throughout many new phones. No matter where I am, they're in the "available" list. At home, at work, at the store, etc. I feel pretty certain that my phone is broadcasting them somehow. The network follows me everywhere I go, so it can't really be another device. I always have mobile hotspot turned off too. Thanks for any help
    11-08-2021 05:07 PM
    Hi, for many years now, I have had wifi networks named Shelby and/or Shelby1 that are always in my wifi list no matter where I am. I was sort of hoping with a new phone, the network wouldn't be there anymore, but it is. They literally follow me, which makes me think it's coming from my phone somehow. It seems harmless, as I can just turn wifi off. I can't connect to them because they are passworded. I have done exhaustive searching and no one else seems to have this problem. I just want to know what they are. They're always listed under available networks. There aren't any under "saved."
    I have no idea what would be broadcasting them. This has been going on at least 5 years and throughout many new phones. No matter where I am, they're in the "available" list. At home, at work, at the store, etc. I feel pretty certain that my phone is broadcasting them somehow. The network follows me everywhere I go, so it can't really be another device. I always have mobile hotspot turned off too. Thanks for any help
    Welcome to Android Central.

You wouldn't happen to own, a Shelby Mustang by any chance, would you?
    mustang7757 and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-08-2021 05:12 PM
    I'll leave a Link to register so you can communicate here as a guest account you can only post questions but can't reply.
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=409154
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-08-2021 05:14 PM
    Welcome to Android Central.

You wouldn't happen to own, a Shelby Mustang by any chance, would you?
    That's what I was thinking Shelby Mustang lol
    11-08-2021 05:15 PM
    Thanks. I wish that was the answer. I'm the one that asked the question. I'm registered now
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-08-2021 05:28 PM
    ...and you've had two different types of phones show these same WiFi networks around you, and the Wi-Fi networks are always there no matter where you go, and no one else has these listed on their phones around you?
    11-08-2021 05:46 PM
    Thanks. I wish that was the answer. I'm the one that asked the question. I'm registered now
    Hi welcome to AC!
    If you tap on them to forget do they reappear?
    11-08-2021 05:49 PM
    ...did you use some sort of smart switch program to copy the same apps over to your new phone each time you switched? Have all your phones been the same Android manufacturer (eg: Samsung or LG)?
    11-08-2021 05:50 PM
    Since this started, I've probably had 3 Samsung s9's (replacements insurance). The last of those was updated to an s10 as far I know. I now own the s21. I don't have any networks in my saved list, so I can't "forget" them, I think. The last few times I used Verizon cloud to copy everything, even though everything was NOT there. I have smartswitch, but I don't believe I've ever used it. The network shows up in my car, at the grocery store, at work, literally every place I go
    Attached Thumbnails Wifi network follows me everywhere-screenshot_20211108-190623_settings.jpg  
    11-08-2021 06:02 PM
    Since this started, I've probably had 3 Samsung s9's (replacements insurance). The last of those was updated to an s10 as far I know. I now own the s21. I don't have any networks in my saved list, so I can't "forget" them, I think. The last few times I used Verizon cloud to copy everything, even though everything was NOT there. I have smartswitch, but I don't believe I've ever used it. The network shows up in my car, at the grocery store, at work, literally every place I go
    Can you show a screenshot ?

https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=413366
    11-08-2021 06:05 PM
    Do you have any wearable or otherwise portable devices that might connect via wi-fi, rather than Bluetooth? An example (which I realize wouldn't be your situation) would be a drone.
    11-08-2021 06:24 PM
    Nope
    11-08-2021 06:29 PM
    What town do you live in? Could it be some citywide SSID, perhaps for use by municipal services?
    11-08-2021 06:35 PM
    I pretty much live in the suburbs
    11-08-2021 07:39 PM
    What options you get when you long press it?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-08-2021 08:10 PM
    Do you have one of these?
    Wifi network follows me everywhere-screenshot-2021-11-08-234005.png
    mustang7757 likes this.
    11-08-2021 10:48 PM
    Someone near you has a Hotspot or wifi named Shelby. You should be able to press Shelby, press the settings gear icon, then Forget.
    Good luck
    11-09-2021 08:27 AM
    Do you live in Shelby County, Kentucky?

https://www.shelby.kyschools.us/site...1811&PageID=19

https://scplibrary.net/wireless-hots...ublic-library/

If not, I'd still check around where you live/work for similar public Wi-Fi offerings. Otherwise, I would suggest you drive out to the middle of nowhere, park and check your phone. If you still see it, take everything electronic out of your pockets and carry your phone a long way away from your vehicle and check again (especially if it has a Wi-Fi option and you bought it used). I don't see how this could be coming from your phone, so it has to be something external.
    11-09-2021 09:01 AM
    Do you have one of these?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-11-08 234005.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	515.3 KB 
ID:	338733
    No
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-09-2021 09:51 AM
    Do you live in Shelby County, Kentucky?

https://www.shelby.kyschools.us/site...1811&PageID=19

https://scplibrary.net/wireless-hots...ublic-library/

If not, I'd still check around where you live/work for similar public Wi-Fi offerings. Otherwise, I would suggest you drive out to the middle of nowhere, park and check your phone. If you still see it, take everything electronic out of your pockets and carry your phone a long way away from your vehicle and check again (especially if it has a Wi-Fi option and you bought it used). I don't see how this could be coming from your phone, so it has to be something external.
    No, New York
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-09-2021 09:52 AM
    What options you get when you long press it?
    Connect to network, that's it
    11-09-2021 09:59 AM
    Connect to network, that's it
    At this point i wouldn't worry about it , its just a option on WiFi list and looks like password protected
    11-09-2021 10:19 AM
    At this point i wouldn't worry about it , its just a option on WiFi list and looks like password protected
    Yea, just bugs me I can't figure out what it is. Thanks for your help everyone
    mustang7757 likes this.
    11-09-2021 11:08 AM
    Someone near you has a Hotspot or wifi named Shelby. You should be able to press Shelby, press the settings gear icon, then Forget.
    Good luck
    It sounds like it keeps showing up in the Available Networks -- not in the Saved Networks. The OP wouldn't be able to Forget the network if it's just constantly available around them.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-09-2021 11:57 AM
    Do you have a neighbour called Shelby or a neighbour who has a Mustang Shelby?
    11-09-2021 02:24 PM
28 12