Notification & ring tone goes back to default

ynotamil

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I selected my own RING TONE and my NOTIFICATIONS SOUND but Android 11 on a Samsung when I receive a message it keeps on changing those settings to the default. Why is that?

ynotamil

May 1, 2014
Visit site
A32, pre-installed tones, I do not have an SD card. Default NOTIFICATION is the VERY annoying GALAXY /CASSIOPEIA.

I set the RING TONE and the NOTIFICATION SOUND to whatever I want and as soon an SMS comes in the default NOTIFICATION sounds and the default NOTIFICATION and RINGS TONE are set to the default. Bugger my choice

Last edited by a moderator:

ynotamil

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Yes it does. I don't think Messages app is the problem, because ring tone is also changed to default value and Messages app has nothing to do with phone / ring tone. Also, I can't uninstall Messages app in any case. I set in Messages app the NOTIFICATION SOUND that I want on Settings, NOTIFICATIONS. That choice of mine stays, it is not change. What is changed is on SETTINGS, NOTIFICATIONS, NOTIFICATIONS SOUND. On this window (SOUND MODE) the settings of RINGTONE & NOTIFICATION SOUND are the 2 settings that keep on going back to default no matter what I put there. Hope I made myself clear.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes it does. I don't think Messages app is the problem, because ring tone is also changed to default value and Messages app has nothing to do with phone / ring tone. Also, I can't uninstall Messages app in any case. I set in Messages app the NOTIFICATION SOUND that I want on Settings, NOTIFICATIONS. That choice of mine stays, it is not change. What is changed is on SETTINGS, NOTIFICATIONS, NOTIFICATIONS SOUND. On this window (SOUND MODE) the settings of RINGTONE & NOTIFICATION SOUND are the 2 settings that keep on going back to default no matter what I put there. Hope I made myself clear.
Hi, just to verify you have custom ringtones not the stock ones ?

ynotamil

May 1, 2014
Visit site
No Zedge, but CMM Launcher Pro

Yes, only one, HOTEL CALIFORNIA, that keeps on being reset to the default one. Can't remember the default RING TONE, it has 4 digits as a name, I. e. 6743

Is there a way to set all apps to CHANGE SYSTEM SETTINGS to NOT ALLOWED? Or how to find out which apps can change SYSTEM Settings?

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, only one, HOTEL CALIFORNIA, that keeps on being reset to the default one. Can't remember the default RING TONE, it has 4 digits as a name, I. e. 6743

Can you clarify -- are you saying that it's only when you set the default tone to be Hotel California, it keeps going back to one of the preinstalled ones? Or that even if you select one of the other preinstalled tones, it keeps going back to the original one? Your 2nd post in the thread made it sound like the latter, but this one I quoted makes it sound like the former.

ynotamil

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Just changed my RING TONE to use one of the stock ring tones to try that. But I don't thing will make a difference. I say that because I changed the NOTIFICATION SOUND many many times, using the stock NOTIFICATION SOUND and I still have the problem. But let me try it.

ynotamil

May 1, 2014
Visit site
No difference. Just got a NEW SMS and this stupid Android 11 ignored my settings and used the default NOTIFICATION SOUND, changing also the RING TONE (why, oh why changing the RING TONE also). I checked on SETTINGS & both, the RING TONE and the NOTIFICATION SOUND are back to the default. This Android 11 really made me think VERY SERIOUSLY (for the first time in 15 years with Samsung /Android) about APPLE. They hire trained programmers to do this stuff and this is the result. Any ideas? I think that this is it: no solution to this idiotic design.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Most CM apps are very dodgy, full of malware and can behave oddly. I really would avoid them all. Try to uninstall your launcher and see if it works then.

I was thinking about Cheetah Mobile as well, but the OP specified CMM Launcher, which appears to be from an Indian developer. However, I wouldn't put it past Cheetah to be misleading and create developers with different names to put people off their scent.:-\

But I still agree about uninstalling CMM Launcher to see if that helps. That dev's website isn't even HTTPS, which makes me wonder just how good a developer they are. So if their launcher is buggy, that could still potentially be a culprit.

ynotamil

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I will try that. But why would Android, so rightfully paranoid about security, let an app play and change system settings? I set CHANGE SYSTEM SETTINGS to NOT ALLOWED right from the beginning. I doubt that is the cause of all this screw up, but I will do that. I forgot to bring this up, but I have 2 MESSSGES apps installed. Same name, can you believe. Android is getting slack, really. Even the icons are very similar. Is this normal on Android 11? One is Samsung as far as I can ascertain. Tried to uninstalled one, but uninstall is not allowed on both. I am going to change the MESSAGES app and see if there is any improvements.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Android has always been about flexibility and customizability. There have been big improvements in the granularity of permissions that the user can allow, but ultimately it's still up to the user to be aware of what permissions are being granted. Regardless, a buggy app can still cause various issues that don't have anything to do with the permissions you see, which is why we continue to suggest uninstalling CMM Launcher as a test.

You likely have 2 Messages app because one is the Google Messages app (the one with the 3 lines in the speech balloon) and the other is the Samsung Messages app (the one with the 3 dots in the speech balloon). This is partly because Samsung likes to preinstall its own apps and services alongside Google's, which can contribute to confusion. It has nothing to do with "Android getting slack." If this too confusing, then my strong recommendation would be to move away from Samsung and choose a phone with much less bloat, like Pixels or OnePlus.

ynotamil

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Uninstalled CMM: changed the MESSAGE app; just download a new security patch (Android 11, UI 3.1). Got a few NEW SMSs and all changed my RING TONE & NOTIFICATION SOUND settings back to DEFAULT. Anyone knows how to delete the ANDROID /CASSIOPEIA NOTIFICATION SOUND? It's the default NOTIFICATION SOUND and it is really annoying. Anything woukd be an improvement. I have to take the phone to Samsung to see if they can fix this, but I doubt it. Looks to me that it is a bug in Android 11 for this phone/model

ynotamil

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Android has always been about flexibility and customizability..... .
Abt 2 years ago my cell phone was stolen. Because SMART LOCK never worked & I was kind of fed up with entering the PIN over & over, I took the security lock off. So I gave the thief an unlocked phone, ready for him /her to use it, thanks to SMART LOCK being so stupid. So I can say that ANDROID is getting slack. If they are so concerned over security, (not so)SMART LOCK is something that they should concentrate; I read comments about this well over 5 years ago. I am sure that there are many phones around without the security on, just because of us having to continuously enter the PIN in a secure area, office or home. The option now is to let Google spy on us, to know where we are all the time and get a Mickey mouse SMART LOCK that sometimes work, most of the times doesn't, or keep on entering the PIN over & over in a safe AREA or remove the security altogether. Like my case now with the NOTIFICATION SOUND: I am at a stage that I am considering remove the NOTIFICATIONS all together, so not knowing imidiatly if a client SMSs me. I know that I can move to Apple, even Tesla is about to introduce a phone of their own, but they also have their problems. We are here to bring up the problems that we find and Google pays us nothing for that. Over and above that, they don't introduce what we want (i .e. a SMART LOCK that works properly specially with wifi).