Google 2 step authentication without old phone

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hello. I just got a new phone today, and I'm trying to sync and simply access/login to my Google account on the new phone, and just period, (I know the password and everything) but it won't let me because of 2 step authentication requiring a text verification code sent to the number associated with the account, and my screen is broken on that phone so I don't have access to it. (I even tried putting my SIM card into another phone that uses the same network but for some reason it just tells me the SIM card can't connect on that network).

I'm just wondering what I can do here, and maybe if I contact Google customer service if they'll be able to update/change the number on the account or something, or what. Thank you!

NathanD1995

Nov 14, 2021
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! On the 2-step authentication screen, look carefully -- is there an option to choose another way to authenticate?

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

Thank you very much for your reply, just registered. Unfortunately the only options are sending a text verification code to the phone or needing access to the phone to open/use an app on it

Last edited by a moderator:

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Thank you very much for your reply, just registered. Unfortunately the only options are sending a text verification code to the phone or needing access to the phone to open/use an app on it

I've removed your link, since it had personal information. If you share a screenshot, please edit it so no personal information like phone numbers, email addresses, IMEI is showing.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What if you go to myaccount.google.com on your computer browser, then go to the Security section. Are you able to add any other methods of 2-factor authentication there? Or are you unable to get there because it's asking you for 2-factor to get into that setting?

NathanD1995

Nov 14, 2021
Visit site
are you not using the same phone number on the new phone?

No it's a new phone, new number and new carrier. And like I mentioned in my OP I tried putting the old phone's SIM card into a working, unlocked phone that used the same carrier as the old phone but for some reason it tells me the SIM card cannot connect to that network.

What if you go to myaccount.google.com on your computer browser, then go to the Security section. Are you able to add any other methods of 2-factor authentication there? Or are you unable to get there because it's asking you for 2-factor to get into that setting?

I'm unable to get there, or just simply access the Google account period because any time I try to login it requires the 2 step authentication code being texted to the phone.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No it's a new phone, new number and new carrier. And like I mentioned in my OP I tried putting the old phone's SIM card into a working, unlocked phone that used the same carrier as the old phone but for some reason it tells me the SIM card cannot connect to that network.

I'm unable to get there, or just simply access the Google account period because any time I try to login it requires the 2 step authentication code being texted to the phone.
Hi welcome to AC!
Have you tried reaching out to Google?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
While devices don't do 2-Step very well for attaching a device to an account, it better now on a lot of devices but used to be that you'd have to get a universal code or something to use as the password to get around 2-Step, and they don't always offer alternatives to whatever method was set-up attempts through a browser, on a PC or laptop, do offer alternatives. These usually take the form of an email sent to your Gmail. As B. Diddy suggested look carefully at the page that pops up asking for the code.

Best wishes