This happened after updating to Android 11. I've tried all of the usual fixes such as removing the card and reinserting; turning phone off, etc. Nothing works. The card was fine just before the update so the card is good. When I connect the phone to a computer, I can see all of the data is still on the card.

Any ideas?
    11-29-2021 01:11 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Was the card encrypted?

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/as...community.html
    11-29-2021 01:26 PM
    No - the card was not encrypted - thanks.
    11-29-2021 01:43 PM
    If you go to the Settings>Storage menu, the card doesn't even show up there? Have you already tried removing the card and reinserting it?
    11-29-2021 06:48 PM
    No - the card was not encrypted - thanks.
    Hi welcome to AC!
    Is this a name brand card ? Do u have sd card reader for computer?
    11-29-2021 08:22 PM
    I have tried removing and reinserting - no go. The card does not show up in storage. It is a brand name card - when I connect the phone to a computer all of the data is there - but the phone does not "know" there is a card inserted.
    11-30-2021 08:31 AM
    I have tried removing and reinserting - no go. The card does not show up in storage. It is a brand name card - when I connect the phone to a computer all of the data is there - but the phone does not "know" there is a card inserted.
    Can you try the card itself on your computer ?
    11-30-2021 09:26 AM
    No - I don't have the card insert for that. The data is there - the computer reads it in the phone but the phone does not recognize.
    11-30-2021 09:41 AM
    U have another phone to try it in?
    11-30-2021 09:42 AM
    At this point, it'd be a good idea to copy as much of the data over to your PC, since you may just have to reformat the card (in a PC, if you can, since the phone can't read it) or get a new card.
    11-30-2021 10:54 AM
    Mustang - no other phone that will take the card. B.Diddy - I did. The card seems to be good since I can see the data on it when I connect the phone to a computer. Not sure if reformatting or a new card would do much if the phone is not reading the card at all? The card was fine just before I updated to Android 11. Any thoughts?
    11-30-2021 11:58 AM
    Mustang - no other phone that will take the card. B.Diddy - I did. The card seems to be good since I can see the data on it when I connect the phone to a computer. Not sure if reformatting or a new card would do much if the phone is not reading the card at all? The card was fine just before I updated to Android 11. Any thoughts?
    I agree with B. Diddy if you can copy its data on the computer then you can try playing around with sd card with reformatting or get another card.
    11-30-2021 01:57 PM
    As another test, try inserting any other SD card into the phone -- is that detected? Just want to make sure the SD reader itself didn't fail.

I think it's still worth reformatting the current card in your PC (making sure to format as FAT32), in case some odd corruption was making it invisible to the phone.
    11-30-2021 02:35 PM
    Just ordered a new card so we'll see - thanks all.
    mustang7757 and B. Diddy like this.
    11-30-2021 02:37 PM
    New card worked. I got an SD adapter so I could check the old card on the computer. Got "no recognized file system" and "click here to format card". So the update to Android 11 fried my card - the question is why?
    B. Diddy likes this.
    12-01-2021 12:35 PM
    I've seen this mentioned before in other threads -- sometimes, SD cards get corrupted during the system update process. It shouldn't happen, but it can on occasion. The safest thing to do would be to unmount the SD card right before doing the update.
    12-01-2021 12:55 PM
    **unmount the SD card right before doing the update. **

Good idea - thanks.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    12-01-2021 01:03 PM
    New problem - I can't take photos or add apps because the phone is telling me it is out of storage. But there is 7 gb out of 32 still free. It also shows 2.2 gb of photos in internal memory but there are none. It will let me "delete" these (452 photos) but the phantom photos reappear if I turn the phone off and back on. Does not matter if a card is inserted or not. Any ideas? Thanks.
    12-02-2021 11:24 AM
    7 GB out of 32 GB of internal storage or SD card storage?

For the photos, look for the /DCIM/Camera/.thumbnails directory, if present (you might need to turn on the Show Hidden Files/Folders option in your file manager), and see how much space that takes up.
    12-02-2021 11:41 AM
    Internal storage. I deleted everything in photos and still showing 2.2 gb. I tried to take a screenshot to post here and got this message:

"Couldn't save screenshot. Taking screenshots is not allowed by the app or your organization."

What is going on with this update - gheesh!
    12-02-2021 12:20 PM
    It might be time to backup your important data and do a factory reset.

Does this also happen in Safe Mode? https://www.t-mobile.com/support/dev...fe-mode-lg-k51
    12-02-2021 12:23 PM
    Thanks. Any suggestions on hot to backup? I tried to install a text backup / restore app but I can't install anything because the phone thinks there is no storage.
    12-02-2021 12:47 PM
    What version of Android is the phone running? If it's Android 9 or above, Google Backup should backup your SMS/MMS messages: https://support.google.com/android/a...gets-backed-up

I use Google Photos to backup all of my photos, but you can also use other cloud storage services like OneDrive, Dropbox, etc. I use Google Drive to backup all of my other important documents.

You can also connect the phone to a PC via USB and use Windows File Explorer to copy those files to the hard drive.
    12-02-2021 03:22 PM