Hi everyone

Hopefully I can get some info/assistance.

Currently a G7 plus owner. Been looking to get into something different lately and today's screen breaking made the decision even easier lol.

So I'm looking to get into a new budget friendly Android device that's similar (or better) than my current g7. Open to any suggestions

I'm looking for something unlocked and easier to access (I'm in Canada).

Thanks for any help!!

Mark
    12-04-2021 01:01 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! What's your price range? I always recommend Pixels -- you may want to look into the Pixel 5a (or the 4a or 4a 5G, if still available in your area).
    12-04-2021 01:13 PM
    Thanks!

I'd kinda like to stay between the $250 - $500 range if possible.

I heard great things about the Pixels - I'd have to research to see the current prices .

Outside of the Pixels, anything else that's good value ?
    12-04-2021 01:36 PM
    You can find the OnePlus 8 line in the $300 to $500 range right now -- those are always a good bet.

Past-year flagships like the Galaxy S20 are worth looking at as well, but those might still push your budget (the cheapest one in new condition I found on a quick search was $500, but you can find them cheaper if you're ok with refurbished). Samsung's midrange A line is decent as well, like the A52 5G.

It might help to narrow down if you can tell us what's most important to you in a phone. Camera? Support with security updates? SD card slot?
    12-04-2021 01:41 PM
    You can find the OnePlus 8 line in the $300 to $500 range right now -- those are always a good bet.

Past-year flagships like the Galaxy S20 are worth looking at as well, but those might still push your budget (the cheapest one in new condition I found on a quick search was $500, but you can find them cheaper if you're ok with refurbished). Samsung's midrange A line is decent as well, like the A52 5G.

It might help to narrow down if you can tell us what's most important to you in a phone. Camera? Support with security updates? SD card slot?
    Thanks again.

For the phone, I guess the most important part would be software updates. I want to make sure whatever I purchase is going to be supported in a year's time, and not put on the back burner.

I don't need the phone for gaming, work or anything specific. Just the typical use emails, calls/texts, etc.
    12-04-2021 02:57 PM
    So - doing some quick searching

OnePlus 8 is coming in around $500 on Amazon.ca

Galaxy A52 is around $500 (BestBuy)

Pixel 4a and 5 are around $600 (refurbished)

OnePlus Nord N10 $300 (refurbished), $400 new

I can definitely wait till after Xmas if there's better options on sale, or I'm missing a different brand
    12-04-2021 03:44 PM
    Oh yeah, I forgot that Canadian prices are usually higher than US.

Pixels are of course the best when it comes to regularity and duration of updates. OnePlus has always been pretty good, but I've read that they've recently been a little less reliable with updates, especially with their midrange or budget phones. Samsung has definitely gotten better with their updates, but their midrange and budget phones will only get updates about every quarter, rather than every month.

I have the Galaxy A32 5G, and it's actually quite good for the price (I saw that it's $369 CAD at Best Buy). Only 720P screen, but performance is good, and it's been getting fairly regular updates from Samsung (as I mentioned, about once a quarter).
    12-04-2021 03:58 PM
    Oh yeah, I forgot that Canadian prices are usually higher than US.

Pixels are of course the best when it comes to regularity and duration of updates. OnePlus has always been pretty good, but I've read that they've recently been a little less reliable with updates, especially with their midrange or budget phones. Samsung has definitely gotten better with their updates, but their midrange and budget phones will only get updates about every quarter, rather than every month.

I have the Galaxy A32 5G, and it's actually quite good for the price (I saw that it's $369 CAD at Best Buy). Only 720P screen, but performance is good, and it's been getting fairly regular updates from Samsung (as I mentioned, about once a quarter).
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to try and look at the specs for the OnePlus options and A32/A52.

As much as I'd like to go into a Pixel, they may be a bit too much out of my price range I'm looking at
    12-04-2021 04:03 PM
    Hi everyone

I think I decided to go with the Galaxy A52 G. Going to keep my eyes out for a good deal or maybe a boxing day sale here in Canada
    Laura Knotek and B. Diddy like this.
    12-06-2021 05:39 PM