Android 9 - as a user, how do I display timestamps on notifications?

ClarkeyBoy1987

Dec 12, 2021
Visit site
Android 9 doesn't seem to have a category so I have left it blank.

I get numerous notifications all the time - most of the time I just swipe them and it doesn't bother me that the time isn't displayed, however sometimes the time is quite relevant and I'd quite like to know when the notification was created.

Is there any way, on Android 9 (I'm using Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra), to force notifications to display the time and ignore the config set by the app?

Many thanks,
Clarkey

ClarkeyBoy1987

Dec 12, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion @mustang7757 but it doesn't do this for me. It gives a time next to several apps - not sure if that's the last opened time or the last notification time, however one says 5m ago yet I neither opened it nor received a notification for it 5m ago.

I notice some notifications - such as NHS Exposures (alerting me that Bluetooth is off and therefore they cannot notify me of any exposures) - specify how long ago they appeared when you slide notifications down (e.g. 55m). Others, such as when my lives were full on numerous games, do not display a time. I'd like to force the time to appear on all notifications.

Even if going to Settings > Notifications gave me this info, it does seem like a long-winded way of getting to this information when it could just be displayed on the notification itself.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you show us a screenshot of what your notification panel looks like? Just make sure there's no identifying information in it. http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

It's hard for me to test, since this might be related to Android Pie (aka 9.0), or Sony's own modification of the code. Since I don't have any device with Pie, nor do I have a Sony device, I can't compare that directly to my other devices. I can tell you that on Pixels running Android 12 (and I'm pretty sure 11 and 10 before that, and most likely with Pie), notifications in the notification panel would tell you how long ago they showed up.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion @mustang7757 but it doesn't do this for me. It gives a time next to several apps - not sure if that's the last opened time or the last notification time, however one says 5m ago yet I neither opened it nor received a notification for it 5m ago.

I notice some notifications - such as NHS Exposures (alerting me that Bluetooth is off and therefore they cannot notify me of any exposures) - specify how long ago they appeared when you slide notifications down (e.g. 55m). Others, such as when my lives were full on numerous games, do not display a time. I'd like to force the time to appear on all notifications.

Even if going to Settings > Notifications gave me this info, it does seem like a long-winded way of getting to this information when it could just be displayed on the notification itself.
It's last notification time and has in order from top to next one .

ClarkeyBoy1987

Dec 12, 2021
Visit site
Hi guys,

I hope you're safe & well. Apologies for the delay on this - I was waiting for times when I have lots of notifications to get the screenshots, so you can see that some do have the time whilst others don't. Please see the attached images.

You can see that:
- Exposure Notifications, Pi, BBC News, Instagram & Facebook always display the time.
- AdVenture Communist, Amazon Shopping, Skype, AVG Protection / AVG Antivirus & Sunny House do not display the time.

I would ideally like to force all notifications to display the time on the notification - without going into settings or using a notification history app each time. As an example of where this would be useful in a productive manner (not games), let's suppose I send a package to someone via Amazon. I might check my phone at 1700 and see that it has been delivered - but, having not checked my phone all day, I do not know whether this notification appeared at 0900 or 1659. I may wish to call the recipient to make sure they've got it but if it only arrived at 1659 then this would be too soon. If an override such as this is not built into Android yet, it really should be - it's kinda rude for companies to say what information is important to us.
@mustang7757: thanks again for this suggestion but the last notification time is not what I'm looking for - what if I have 3 notifications for the same app and I wish to know the time of the earliest one?

Many thanks,
Kind regards,
Clarkey

Notifications-1.jpg
Notifications-2.jpg
Notifications-3.jpg
Notifications-4.jpg
Notifications-5.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi guys,

I hope you're safe & well. Apologies for the delay on this - I was waiting for times when I have lots of notifications to get the screenshots, so you can see that some do have the time whilst others don't. Please see the attached images.

You can see that:
- Exposure Notifications, Pi, BBC News, Instagram & Facebook always display the time.
- AdVenture Communist, Amazon Shopping, Skype, AVG Protection / AVG Antivirus & Sunny House do not display the time.

I would ideally like to force all notifications to display the time on the notification - without going into settings or using a notification history app each time. As an example of where this would be useful in a productive manner (not games), let's suppose I send a package to someone via Amazon. I might check my phone at 1700 and see that it has been delivered - but, having not checked my phone all day, I do not know whether this notification appeared at 0900 or 1659. I may wish to call the recipient to make sure they've got it but if it only arrived at 1659 then this would be too soon. If an override such as this is not built into Android yet, it really should be - it's kinda rude for companies to say what information is important to us.
@mustang7757: thanks again for this suggestion but the last notification time is not what I'm looking for - what if I have 3 notifications for the same app and I wish to know the time of the earliest one?

Many thanks,
Kind regards,
Clarkey

View attachment 339883
View attachment 339884
View attachment 339885
View attachment 339886
View attachment 339887
Maybe andriod 9 doesn't have it , its under notification history under advanced settingsScreenshot_20211219-230449_Settings.jpg

ClarkeyBoy1987

Dec 12, 2021
Visit site
Hi @mustang7757,

Thank you for your response. No Android 9 doesn't have it. Looks like another reason to invest in a new phone - that along with the fact that the back of my phone is falling off and taking the insides with it :D

Off the back of your suggestion, I just started using an app to log notification history. I will trial it for a few days and see how it goes. It may be a good in-between solution - not quite built in but enables access to the data I need when I need it.

Kind regards,
Clarkey

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi @mustang7757,

Thank you for your response. No Android 9 doesn't have it. Looks like another reason to invest in a new phone - that along with the fact that the back of my phone is falling off and taking the insides with it :D

Off the back of your suggestion, I just started using an app to log notification history. I will trial it for a few days and see how it goes. It may be a good in-between solution - not quite built in but enables access to the data I need when I need it.

Kind regards,
Clarkey

Ok very good, your welcome 👍