How can I stop an already downloaded software update from installing?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

So I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 that I have kept because I use it with my Samsung Gear VR. I've been told that I should not update it due to the fact that if I do, I will not be able to use it with my VR any longer. Unfortunately, the new software version was automatically downloaded. When ever I turn it on, it tells me it's set to automatically update within the next 24 hours or so. Is there anyway that I can delete the download or stop it from updating?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure someone else will chime in, Oh before I forget, Welcome to Android Central, but updates are inevitable. If it has already downloaded you'll wake up one morning to a notification that your device has been updated even if you continue to postpone it. I don't know that I've even heard of anyone successfully avoiding an update.

A quick search says this latest update is just a security patch which I wouldn't expect to have an affect between a Samsung device and a Samsung app or interaction with another Samsung device. I mean if it was an OS update maybe and even then I wouldn't expect it. How many sources have you checked this information through? How many users have agreed with this finding? On that note, no pun intended, what recommendations are they making as to how to avoid this issue? It strikes me as very unusual so I would need more than one source but that is just me.

If you would like to reply to this thread and receive notifications when others leave replies, please create an account. This link will help you do that.. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community-new-post.html

DerHof

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
Best way
https://www.packagedisabler.com/
(Paid)

Alliance Shield in play store (free)

Will this app stop this update?
I'm not sure if this is a Samsung S22 update or something from AT&T... It's bad enough this crap happens without my permission but sometimes it will install it in the middle of the damn day... I've needed to use my phone (important work related circumstance) but couldn't because I'm waiting for an update. Totally unacceptable. It should be illegal for this to happen especially for what we have to pay for these things.

signal-2022-06-01-133521.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Will this app stop this update?
I'm not sure if this is a Samsung S22 update or something from AT&T... It's bad enough this crap happens without my permission but sometimes it will install it in the middle of the damn day... I've needed to use my phone (important work related circumstance) but couldn't because I'm waiting for an update. Totally unacceptable. It should be illegal for this to happen especially for what we have to pay for these things.

View attachment 345346
Yes it will stop OTA update

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Also, I should have thought it would be possible to delete the OTA file. I don’t think I’ve ever done it myself, so I’m not sure where it would be. Then turn off auto system updates.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Also, I should have thought it would be possible to delete the OTA file. I don’t think I’ve ever done it myself, so I’m not sure where it would be. Then turn off auto system updates.

They used to get deleted when you wiped the system cache. . . I'm going back a few years though, haven't done it recently .

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
I think in Samsung phones it's stored in data/fota folder. You can try disabling updates by disabling it in your apps list. Click show system apps and find it. Might be called SoAgent. If you can't disable it you might be able to delete it's data at least. Or you could disable it via adb using a computer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34