How to improve streaming speed?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi, I am a Android 10 user. I love to watch movies and web series online. Currently i was watching a web series in a public wifi with login lock on it (College wifi). For first few hours it worked perfectly fine with decent internet speed. But at evening there are more students so the internet speed slows down. Which is a problem cause with slow internet speed it is headache. I am sure you must have experienced it as well. The moment you start to get interested in the scene and the buffer circle shows up. And to further explain this happens with only the streaming app i am using. When i switch to play store to download some thing it returns back to the faster speed. I am guessing that there is some data cap on the app usage in my device or the server to experience high speed internet.

So i wanted to know or find some information on:

Either

a. How to increase the priority of my device compare to other students so that i could watch at a better internet speed.

Or

b. Remove that data cap from the software or server.

Or

c. Some software that could trick the server into thinking its an other app or device to provide high speed internet on preference.

It would be great if you could provide me some suggestions on how to do it or where should i look into to solve this issue.

I have tried:
1. Fixing my DNS but the same problem still persist.
2. Stabilizing Network but no changes.
3. Improving signal speed which still leed me to nowhere.
4. And yes, i know i could just download and watch but i don't want to go back to that boring mundane thing where i could just watch online.

It would great if you read through all that and could provide me some details, information, leads on what to do.
Thanks for being interested in the question. Please send some solutions.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! There's not much you can do if you're using a public wi-fi network that gets congested. If it's that important to you, then use mobile data (or, if you're using a wi-fi only device, use your phone as a mobile hotspot, or get a personal hotspot device from your carrier). We can't advise you on trying to hack into the college's wi-fi network to alter the settings -- that would almost certainly be grounds for expulsion and possibly criminal charges.

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Bandwidth speed is determined more by the online connection you're device is connected to. There is no 'magic button' for you to push on your mobile device to make online connections faster. If the public WiFi service you're using gets bogged down by a lot of other people also doing things like watching streaming content, that's going to slow things down for everyone connected to that same WiFi network. It's a shared service and you simply are not allowed to do something like hack some kind of bypass to exclude everyone else so only you get preferential bandwidth.

If you opt to watch streaming content set a high resolution, trying setting it lower. Lower res content doesn't use as much bandwidth. (i.e. standard res content, 720p or so only uses about 3-5Mbps while high res 4K needs 20-25Mbps.) Or use your own mobile data (cellular) connection instead of a public WiFi network. Or sign up with a contract with an ISP so you'll have your own broadband connection along with an unfettered WiFi network. If budget is a factor, you need to set your expectations down accordingly.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1