Motorola Moto E5 XT1920DL power auto-off while shooting video

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I was using my Motorola Moto E5 XT1920DL on a tripod. It was recording video. After a while, its power turned off. I'm not finding anything in the manual to explain this. Ideas?

raywood

May 29, 2022
Visit site
I had the same problem, and it wasn't due to battery - still had plenty of charge. And I concur - there doesn't seem to be anything in the manual explaining it, or indicating how I might change it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If the camera app was open for a long time, it might have automatically closed after about 2 hours. I've seen other threads that mention this.

raywood

May 29, 2022
Visit site
The video's length is 31:48 (mm:ss). The camera was probably on for another minute or two before I started recording.

I just did a re-run, this time with the camera USB-cabled to the computer. Exact same duration: 31:48, and then another automatic termination. The phone didn't shut off, and the camera app is still open. It just stopped recording. I wasn't using the timer, and there doesn't seem to be anything relevant in the app's settings.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How big is the video file? I recall that camera apps in Android have had a 4 GB filesize limitation for the resultant video, which is probably some legacy code related to FAT32 (where the maximum filesize is 4 GB). That might not be the case any more with newer phones, but for an older phone like yours, it was probably still in effect.

raywood

May 29, 2022
Visit site
The SD card is 64GB. I think the answer is the 4GB limit. I haven't investigated whether Android requires or auto-formats SD cards to FAT32, but this time I measured it. It shut off when the video reached 4,080,846,249 bytes: 4.08GB, though only 3.8GiB. Same duration, anyway: 31:49.

So, OK. Either find a way to format the card to exFAT or something more supportive of larger filesizes, or shoot shorter video, or cut its resolution.

Thank you all for the assist. Cheers!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It actually doesn't matter if you format the card into exFAT -- that 4 GB limitation exists even if saving to Internal Storage. I don't know the exact reason for this, but as I mentioned before, it may be some sort of legacy code that they never changed (perhaps due to the possibility that the user may want to save the file to SD).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie