I currently have an android 6 phone and I want to transfer everything (pics/vids/sms data/whatsapp data/contacts/call history etc) to a new phone which is android 10. i've already got the pics/vids on to my pc via cable but the other data I assume I have to backup either via the phones proprietary backup or to google, the only other option. the proprietary option is no good because the new phone is a diferent manufacturer and I hear mixed reviews of backup and restore apps. What's the easiest way to do this and if I backup to google what does that give me ? a single file with everything in it which I point to when restoring from the new phone ? or is it more involved than that ?
    06-20-2022 04:48 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Which phones do you have? If they're Samsung, then Smart Switch would be the way to go.

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/as...community.html
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-20-2022 05:52 PM
    Knowing your specific phone can help us lead you into right direction
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-20-2022 08:24 PM
    my current phone is the LG SPIRIT 4G LTE, 6 years old.

I can't see that it matters what the new android phone is but for example, one I am looking at is the Motorola G31

I have successfully removed my pictures and videos using a cable to my laptop. The problem is saving contacts/call logs/sms message history/whatsapp message history (including multimedia attachments)

I've tried backing up to my google account, which reports that its running but I can't see any of it in my google account.

I've tried loading the Google1 app, configured it, everything seems good, I check Google1 on my laptop, I can see the backup and the breakdown
    (last updated 20 mins ago), SMS, call history, device settings, apps etc, trouble is SMS reports 0kb, call history 120 Kb (doesn't seem believable ??) and contacts nowhere to be seen ! Maybe whatsapp has to be backed up seperately, who knows.

I have seen mixed reviews on other apps which can do it, not to mention the plethora of ads you have to endure while doing it. So i'm looking for
    the easiest and most reliable way to go (including how to get it on to a new phone), even if it costs some money to do it, I think it's worth it.

Thanks in advance
    06-22-2022 01:52 PM
    Whatsapp has its own backup capability. The Google backup can't be browsed, it's more of a "trust us, it's there" situation.

Your biggest hurdle is going to be the old phone. Some of the things you'll want to do will require a more modern version of the Play Services framework than what is supported on that device because it's running such an old version of Android.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-23-2022 10:43 AM
    my current phone is the LG SPIRIT 4G LTE, 6 years old.

I can't see that it matters what the new android phone is but for example, one I am looking at is the Motorola G31

I have successfully removed my pictures and videos using a cable to my laptop. The problem is saving contacts/call logs/sms message history/whatsapp message history (including multimedia attachments)

I've tried backing up to my google account, which reports that its running but I can't see any of it in my google account.

I've tried loading the Google1 app, configured it, everything seems good, I check Google1 on my laptop, I can see the backup and the breakdown
    (last updated 20 mins ago), SMS, call history, device settings, apps etc, trouble is SMS reports 0kb, call history 120 Kb (doesn't seem believable ??) and contacts nowhere to be seen ! Maybe whatsapp has to be backed up seperately, who knows.

I have seen mixed reviews on other apps which can do it, not to mention the plethora of ads you have to endure while doing it. So i'm looking for
    the easiest and most reliable way to go (including how to get it on to a new phone), even if it costs some money to do it, I think it's worth it.

Thanks in advance
    Welcome to AC!
    Sure it matters, every Android manufacturer has different way of doing this
    06-23-2022 12:43 PM
    When you say you can't see any of it in your google account what do you mean? Where are you looking? Contacts are at contacts.google.com. do a Google search for Google dashboard and you should be able to see what you have backed up to your account. You can backup whatsapp from within the app to your Google drive. Photos to Google photos. Then you can try the app SMS backup & restore if it works on your version.
    06-23-2022 02:57 PM