Why is my Samsung Galaxy A12 not charging?

Phatmann1

Jul 5, 2022
Visit site
I've tried several different chargers and while they work on other phones, they don't work on mine so I'm sure that the issue isn't the chargers. At first it started coming up with "USB device not supported" when I tried to charge but now it's also coming up with "device overheating" too. I've tried closing down all the apps, installed the latest updates, turned my phone off and on again and still no joy. I've tried charging with the phone turned off and nothing happens. When I take it out after I've left it in for about 15 seconds the end of the charger feels hot. I can't see any obvious debris in the charger port. I tried looking for the liquid indicator but I don't know if this phone has one. I tried using the USB charger in my laptop and when I plugged it in, my usb mouse stopped working and it still wasn't charging. Anyone have any ideas what it could be? It charged for about an hour in the morning yesterday and I used it all day without any issues.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I would suspect a faulty USB port. You may have to bring the phone to a repair shop to diagnose the problem (or, if the phone is still under warranty, contact Samsung for warranty repair).

Phatmann1

Jul 5, 2022
Visit site
OP here, thank you for your help. I had a look at device care and there didn't seem to be a diagnostics option but I had a look at the various bits it did have, Battery, Memory etc. and everything looked ok. I think a faulty USB port could be the issue. Any ideas how easy that is to fix or how expensive it is to get repaired, roughly? Are there any other ways of charging the battery other than via the USB port? I'm not sure my phone (Samsung Galaxy A12) has the ability to use wireless charging.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I made you the owner of the original guest post to make it easier for you to find.

Replacing USB ports can be pretty challenging for some phones, which would mean a high cost to fix. I can't say for sure what it would cost for an A12, but I'm just mentioning this so that you can be mentally prepared in case you do bring it to a repair shop for a quote.

Unfortunately, there would be no way to charge the phone wirelessly. Kits to convert a phone to wireless charging would still require an intact USB port.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
OP here, thank you for your help. I had a look at device care and there didn't seem to be a diagnostics option but I had a look at the various bits it did have, Battery, Memory etc. and everything looked ok. I think a faulty USB port could be the issue. Any ideas how easy that is to fix or how expensive it is to get repaired, roughly? Are there any other ways of charging the battery other than via the USB port? I'm not sure my phone (Samsung Galaxy A12) has the ability to use wireless charging.
What Andriod version u on ?

Check in Samsung members app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan