[MEGATHREAD] What does the T with four lines in front mean

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a strange symbol next to someone's name in my call log.

It only happens with one specific caller. It's never happened before today. It is a set of black hash lines and a capital T. When they try to call me they can hear me but I cannot hear them

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Robinwelch9819

Jun 3, 2019
Visit site
Strange symbol

I have a strange symbol next to 1 of my contacts. When they call me I can't hear them but they can hear me. Its its several hash Mark's and a capital T in black to the right of there name. If I can figure out how to post a picture I will. Galaxy s10+.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190603-131051_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20190603-131051_Photos.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Re: what is this on the calling app?

So, what's the use case for RTT exactly? I saw this first on the Note 9 last year. I understand you can see text as it's being typed, while you're on a call. Other than seeing the other person's typos in real time, how is this different from just sending an SMS?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

SMSs are limited to 140 octets (160 ASCII characters or 80 Unicode characters). Anything longer has to be sent as an MMS or as individual 140 octet SMS messages. RTT is sent as you type it - no chopping it up or depending on the carrier's MMS server. It's probably going to become part of RCS.

A

Android Central Question

What is this symbol?

It's a symbol on my call log next to an incoming call. It has 4 horizontal lines and a T.

beaner b

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site

So, what's the use case for RTT exactly? I saw this first on the Note 9 last year. I understand you can see text as it's being typed, while you're on a call. Other than seeing the other person's typos in real time, how is this different from just sending an SMS?

the one I saw that looked useful (cool even) was when it was used in conjunction with video. so let's say you're in the library or cafe or someplace where you'd rather not talk out loud, rather than watch the person type their responses and wait till they hit send you can read what they're writing as they write it.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Yes, I did see it if you must know!
Are we not here to help each other???
Excuse me for letting the person know it's not carrier related!

Yes, we are here to help each other and we try different things until we find the right one. As posted above B. Diddy found the right answer and other members agreed with that. Many times we'll try different approaches until the right fix is found, that's how a forum works. There's no need to go back to previous posts after this.

This is the reason I asked you if you have seen that particular post since mine was obviously the wrong approach to the problem.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

I know in the unlocked version you can go into the dialer settings and turn off persistent RTT as @mustang7757 said. I've never used it though.

BTW stang, clean out your inbox. Replied to your message. LOL

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01