Home Android Central Q&A > Ask a Question

Heat Damaged Amoled Display

Asked: Sep 26 2022 | 4:17 am EDT 173 Views 4 Answers

Hello, everyone
I have a question as a not very skilled electro technical.
I've been replacing battery on galaxy S9 and when heating the glue i accidently didn't contfol the temperature and burned my display. There is a yellow mark on the screen when it's on/off. It's some light reflexive yellow-goldisch

Any idea of what could happen inthere, or a possible repair

Thanks a lot
Jakub

More Answers

Sep 26 2022 | 5:12 am EDT J Dubbs

Unfortunately you'll need to replace the screen if you can't live with it

Sep 26 2022 | 1:09 pm EDT smvim

Unfortunately it sounds like you will have to replace the screen itself in this matter. Tearing down most smartphones now is a tricky process, it was easier when manufacturers relied up physical fasteners (i.e. screws and friction-fit connectors), but now that glues and adhesives (plus all the water resistant seals) are the norm opening up a phone is a lot more involved. You need the appropriate tools and equipment to do a proper job -- and 'proper' being not a phone that just works after reassembly but is still fully functional.

The iFixit site has a good, step-by-step guide on replacing the screen in your S9:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung...acement/116670
Is the color problem the only issue? If the touch screen functionality is also a problem that indicates the screen's digitizer was affected too. In that case other components on the logic board could also possibly be heat damaged. That could result in some features not working at all, or perhaps just occasional, random glitches will pop up. Be sure to do a thorough testing of everything you can think of that you use your phone for.

Also, keep in mind a S9 is over four years old so you might want to think about how much money you want to put into keeping this phone usable. Is this phone a primary, daily usage phone or is it just a secondary spare?

Sep 26 2022 | 1:42 pm EDT fuzzylumpkin

You could try checking the play store for an AMOLED pixel refresher app... I don't think it will help, but what is there to lose?