Okay so with all the storms and hurricanes, losing power keeps happening. I realized my signal SUCKS in my apartment without WIFI. The 5g and such works amazing outside but it's just inside.

So my question is, is there anything I can buy to help my data signal when my wifi is off and or power outage going on? I've heard of signal boosters but didn't know if they work with power being off. So what can I do if there is such options?

Thank you all.
    10-02-2022 01:45 AM
    What you'll need is a repeater system, and those need a power source to function. https://www.wilsonelectronics.com/ use to have a great reputation for range extenders and repeaters, but the last time I saw one of their non-powered offerings was back before Android in the days where phones had an antenna port specifically for a wired external vehicle antenna. Everything they offer now requires a power source to operate a repeater/amplifier.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-02-2022 02:04 AM
    Who's your carrier? You can ask them if they offer signal boosters -- T-Mobile used to give them for free (well, a "free" rental). But as Mooncatt mentioned, they all require power.

5G doesn't have the best penetration, depending on the type of 5G. Are you able to turn off 5G on your phone and use 4G only? Does that give you better reception?
    J Dubbs and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-02-2022 02:56 AM
    Who's your carrier? You can ask them if they offer signal boosters -- T-Mobile used to give them for free (well, a "free" rental). But as Mooncatt mentioned, they all require power.

5G doesn't have the best penetration, depending on the type of 5G. Are you able to turn off 5G on your phone and use 4G only? Does that give you better reception?
    I'm on US Mobile which uses T-mobile. I'll have to check these couple options out. My wifi is fantastic. It's just when I lose power, my data signal is terrible in my apartment.
    10-02-2022 09:38 AM
    I'm on US Mobile which uses T-mobile. I'll have to check these couple options out. My wifi is fantastic. It's just when I lose power, my data signal is terrible in my apartment.
    Battery backups are your friend... get a good sized one that will supply power to your internet equipment and you shouldn't lose your wifi unless it's an extended power outage.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-03-2022 03:25 AM
    Battery backups are your friend... get a good sized one that will supply power to your internet equipment and you shouldn't lose your wifi unless it's an extended power outage.
    I feel so dumb lmao. I didn't know that was a thing. I figured it was all just generators for homes.

How much power do you think I would need?
    J Dubbs likes this.
    10-03-2022 06:46 AM
    I feel so dumb lmao. I didn't know that was a thing. I figured it was all just generators for homes.

How much power do you think I would need?
    If you just want to keep your wifi going during a power outage, and have a modem with built in wifi (1 device), or a modem with a separate wifi router (2 devices) plugged into a 500 to 600VA battery backup, it would probably get you through at least an hour+ long power outage.
    10-05-2022 03:26 AM