Unable to add contact to favorive on Android 14.

Oggy99

Nov 14, 2022
Visit site
Hello everyone, I need help with my contacts.
I have a new Samsun a52, Android 14, UI 4.1.
I was, by accident able to add two contacts to fav list, but when I try to add others, I do not have any option for that.

What I have tried so far:
1. Enter contacts app.
2. Click on the contact.
3. Click on (i) info button.
4. I only have following option:
* Edit, Share, More
5. Edit:
* I can only edit Name, Number and e-Mail.
* I can also cancle or save the change.
6. Share:
* I can choose two ways of shainf the contact.
7. More:
* Only offers: Delete, QR code, Block.
8. There is no star icon on the contact itself.

Could anyone give me any advice on this cuz it's getting a big frustrating.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
First - you don't have Android 14. I doubt you even have Android 13, unless you're on beta. You most likely have Android 12.

Samsung Contacts app or Google Contacts app? Both actually have fairly prominent "favorites" stars.

Oggy99

Nov 14, 2022
Visit site
Hello all, sorry for not responding.
I'm the one who asked this question.

First, to provide more information:
1. I'm using Android 12
2. I do not use Google Contact app.
3. I onky use Samsung Built In app.
4. I do not use Google or Samsung accounts.
5. I save all of my cotacts on my SIM card.
6. When I enter a contact, I do not see a star sign anywhere on the screen (trust me, I've been looking like crazy).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I made you the owner of the original guest post to make it easier for you to find.

It may have to do with where you're saving your contacts. Saving to the SIM card is an outdated practice, and is inadvisable, since if something happens to the phone or the SIM card, you lose all of that information (those contacts won't automatically sync or backup anywhere).

What happens if you save your contacts to one of your accounts, like your Samsung or Google accounts? Or at least save it to the local Phone account (which also won't backup or sync anywhere).

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

1. I'm using Android 12
6. When I enter a contact, I do not see a star sign anywhere on the screen (trust me, I've been looking like crazy).
Welcome to AC!
You should never save contacts to sim card , possibly why your having this issue

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

1. I'm using Android 12

If you're wanting to avoid being tracked by Google or Samsung, you might want to consider getting a de-googled phone like something offered by Rob Braxman. A de-googled phone runs on the same Android you're used to, but it runs AOSP (Android Open Source Project) software that doesn't use any Google/Samsung etc apps, so no tracking. It's a different way of doing things but it's similar to what you're used to, with the ability to use the same type of apps you'd use on your current phone, without signing into anything.

It's probably going to be a better experience than using a Google or Samsung phone without an account, which will really limit what you can do on the phone app wise.

Oggy99

Nov 14, 2022
Visit site
No no, not that I'm scared of being tracked by Google or Samsung.
I'm just used to saving to my SIM, as it's easy to just move to a new phone and have all of the contactseight away.
Still, aside that, could saving contacts to sim be a root cause? That makes no sense tho. Haha
The thing is I do have fav tad on my contacts list and I was able to mark contacts as fav at some point. Not sure what happened.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Since saving contacts to the SIM card is so outdated, it's certainly possible that some of the features you expect aren't available that way.

Google doesn't "track" anyone based on your contact list, but I realize it's hard to convince people, given all the FUD out there. If you really don't feel comfortable with it, then see if there's a Phone account you can save to. It might be called "My Phone".

Oggy99

Nov 14, 2022
Visit site
I'm fine with Google and Samsung saving my contacts, just not used to that practice.
I do have an optio for saving cotact on zhe phone, tho that is even less safe then on SIM card.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Why do you think saving the contact to the local Phone account is even less safe than the SIM? The local Phone account doesn't sync or backup anywhere. It's still risky if something happens to the phone, but I would say that it's equally safe as being on the SIM card.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney