Sudden inability to connect to mobile network

laptop1990

Nov 5, 2022
Visit site
Hello,

I have a Verizon S8 that I have been using abroad for five months with an Orange mobile plan. Data, SMS, and calls all worked fine for this entire period. Suddenly, while the phone was in my pocket, I got a notification saying "Phone not allowed for voice." No Data, SMS, or phone calls have been possible since. I was not at the end of my plan, and I had been using it fine for that extended period.

I have tried the usual suspects: rebooted, upgraded the phone's software, checked the APN is correct, un- and reinstalled the SIM card to no avail. I cannot call the *#*#4636#*#* because any number I dial results in the message "Not registered on network."

I'm not in France, so I cannot go to an Orange shop and they have been unresponsive on the help line.

Is there any way to diagnose whether the SIM or the phone is faulty?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
There are few things to try out
Resetting network go to settings>general management>reset>reset network

Go to settings>connection>APN tap reset

Run phone diagnostics in Samsung members app should be able to test sim card

Try your sim in another device see if sim is faculty or your carrier has a issue

Can rry factory as last resort

I'll leave a Link to register so you can communicate here, As a guest account you can only post questions but can't reply.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=409154

laptop1990

Nov 5, 2022
Visit site
Thank you for your reply. I had tried the first two suggestions with no change. I just tried the Samsung Members diagnostics, and the SIM read as 'normal.' I also was able to try a different SIM and it also would not read, so I can now confirm that it is the phone, not the card. Is there any chance that a factory reset would help when a network reset did not? Obviously that's an annoying prospect, but less annoying than no service!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for your reply. I had tried the first two suggestions with no change. I just tried the Samsung Members diagnostics, and the SIM read as 'normal.' I also was able to try a different SIM and it also would not read, so I can now confirm that it is the phone, not the card. Is there any chance that a factory reset would help when a network reset did not? Obviously that's an annoying prospect, but less annoying than no service!
Hi welcome to AC!

If it says normal in Samsung members app for your sim then u might have a good chance with factory reset in case something got corrupted but i dont like that another sim didn't work but what other choice at this point, can also try removing sim card tray look inside see anything in there or use a can of compressed air and reinsert your sim

laptop1990

Nov 5, 2022
Visit site
Thank you again. Before I go for that nuclear option, I have a few more variables to report.

1) by fiddling with the network options (turning on and off roaming, changing 2G to 3G, etc) I was able to get data access. When I restarted, it went away. After fiddling again, I got it back. However, at neither point did I ever get phone/SMS back. It says in 'About Phone" since the issue began: phone number 'unknown.'

2) I tried blowing it out a bit, and looking into the slot for any obstructions, but saw nothing. I don't have access to compressed air, unfortunately.

3) I tried deleting the cache partition and clearing the Simtoolkit cache/data, which made no changes.

Does it still seem like a factory reset might be likely enough to be worth the annoyance? If that doesn't work, should I assume that there is simply a fault in the phone's hardware?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you again. Before I go for that nuclear option, I have a few more variables to report.

1) by fiddling with the network options (turning on and off roaming, changing 2G to 3G, etc) I was able to get data access. When I restarted, it went away. After fiddling again, I got it back. However, at neither point did I ever get phone/SMS back. It says in 'About Phone" since the issue began: phone number 'unknown.'

2) I tried blowing it out a bit, and looking into the slot for any obstructions, but saw nothing. I don't have access to compressed air, unfortunately.

3) I tried deleting the cache partition and clearing the Simtoolkit cache/data, which made no changes.

Does it still seem like a factory reset might be likely enough to be worth the annoyance? If that doesn't work, should I assume that there is simply a fault in the phone's hardware?
Can try maybe messing with APN settings

laptop1990

Nov 5, 2022
Visit site
Just to wrap up the thread, my service came back overnight for no obvious reason. I suppose that means there was a glitch in the service provider's end, though I never received confirmation of that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon