Hi, I'm looking to get an updated Samsung phone, I want to tidy up my files and storage. Just wondering where do photos and videos get stored as soon as you take them I.e. is it in internal storage or Google account?
    11-09-2022 09:11 AM
    If you have Google photos syncing it be in your Samsung gallery and Google photos so Samsung gallery would be in internal storage of My files app.

Best way is make back up with Samsung smart switch on PC that way you can restore your data not just photos but call logs , text message and others to your new Samsung.
    RollingProtocol666 likes this.
    11-09-2022 09:40 AM
    Hi, I'm looking to get an updated Samsung phone, I want to tidy up my files and storage. Just wondering where do photos and videos get stored as soon as you take them I.e. is it in internal storage or Google account?
    Depends on how you set it up.

Be default, all photos go to internal memory in the "\DCMI\Camera" folder.

If you have an SD card, the camera app would give you the option on first use after installing the card to store photos there, and it would set up a similar folder structure on the card - "SD Card\DCMI\Camera".

Any syncing of photos is done outside of the camera app, so you'd have to tell it to sync from the stock Samsung Gallery app - which currently only offers the use of OneDrive. If you installed the Google Photos app, then it can sync to your Google account if you tell it to. Google Photos sees the same photos on the device but has its own syncing options.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
    11-09-2022 09:56 AM
    I merged you to your original post , u must of not been signed in so made you post owner

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using AC Forums mobile app
    11-09-2022 09:58 AM
    Thanks guys appreciate your advice/feedback
    mustang7757 likes this.
    11-09-2022 09:59 AM
    Sorry guys for being not so tech savvy like you guys... if I undo the sync in my Google photos does that mean any pics taken will not be saved onto there? Asking as my storage is closing in on the 15gb Google allowance. I normally delete some pictures from my Gallery but I'm assuming it was still saving it in Google photos... for some reason I thought that if you delete from gallery it automatically deletes from Google photos? I've sync my one drive to photos that does mean any photos taken which is in gallery (internal storage) is automatically sync in one drive and Google photos until I unsync it,?... apologies if I sound muddled as I'm not very good with technology but learning as I go.
    11-09-2022 10:34 AM
    If you turn off Google Photos backup, all of the backed up photos in the cloud will remain. It's just that any additional photos you take on the phone won't get backed up automatically. If you turn backup back on, then all of those new photos will get backed up.

If you delete a photo using the Samsung Gallery app, that won't affect your Google Photos in the cloud. If you delete a photo in your Google Photos app, that will also trash the photo in the cloud.

If you've been backing up photos to Google Photos in Original Quality (i.e., full resolution), and if you don't mind them being compressed a bit to save space (which really doesn't affect the appearance to the naked eye for the most part), then open Google Photos on your computer browser, click the gear icon, then Manage Storage, then Recover Storage. This will convert all Original Quality photos and videos to Storage Saver quality, which could save you a decent amount of space.
    RollingProtocol666 likes this.
    11-09-2022 02:28 PM
    Brilliantly explained in layman's term thank you so much.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    11-10-2022 07:26 AM