Have a 128GB Galaxy S22+, storage is almost full with 36GB of photos and 40GB of video. I'd like to clear up a bunch of space but don't want to permanently delete them from Google Photos online. If I delete a photo on the phone in Google Photos app does it also delete online?
    11-16-2022 08:56 PM
    I'll add that I deleted a few from my phone in the Google Photos app and within a few seconds, they disappeared from my online Google Photos.
    11-16-2022 10:45 PM
    Try backing up to Samsung smart switch on PC

I'll leave a Link to register so you can communicate here , As a guest account you can only post questions but can't reply.
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=409154
    11-16-2022 11:24 PM
    Deleted from gallery the regular one for Samsung and it won't delete it from Google photos ..also just make sure that you have all your folders backed up in Google photos...
    11-16-2022 11:55 PM
    Also install a third party gallery app from the app store and delete the photos and videos using that app instead of the Google photos app. Simple gallery is a good free app that can do this for you.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=-fkVB7nL

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    11-16-2022 11:55 PM
    Yes go to settings, backup and click the 3 dots for backup settings and make sure they are all backed up before you delete anything.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    11-16-2022 11:56 PM
    I made you the owner of the original guest post to make it easier for you to find.

If you use the Free Up Space feature of the Google Photos app, that will automatically delete any photo or video on the phone that Google Photos knows is backed up to your Google Photos in the cloud. Otherwise, you'd have to select a photo (in the Google Photos app), tap the 3-dot menu button at the upper right, then Delete from Device. This will allow the photo backed up in the cloud to remain.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-17-2022 12:27 AM
    I made you the owner of the original guest post to make it easier for you to find.

If you use the Free Up Space feature of the Google Photos app, that will automatically delete any photo or video on the phone that Google Photos knows is backed up to your Google Photos in the cloud. Otherwise, you'd have to select a photo (in the Google Photos app), tap the 3-dot menu button at the upper right, then Delete from Device. This will allow the photo backed up in the cloud to remain.
    This makes me wicked nervous. I feel like I've seen complaints about Free Up Space deleting from cloud as well as on device.
    11-17-2022 03:34 PM
    I've never had that problem. Free Up Space should not touch cloud photos at all. It should only delete photos on the device -- that's the whole idea.

If anything, I've seen some photos remain on the phone's storage even after I did the Free Up Space command (and I'm sure those photos were already backed up, so Google Photos should've gotten rid of them). This might be related to photos that were edited somehow.
    rvbfan and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-17-2022 05:39 PM
    I'll have to back up everything onto a flash drive, then try it and see what happens.
    11-20-2022 09:38 PM