Banking App inserts total phone password lock on LG reflect And 10

gogoog

Nov 23, 2022
Visit site
I have an LG L555DL - and 10 - and was using the phone without any screen lock, no pin , no finger, and no password.

I left a secure online banking app open last night and went to bed.

When I opened my phone in the morning it prompted me for a screen lock password. (I freaked out) i thought I was hacked.

Anyway after some thought - I entered the banking phone app's password. This unlocked the phone - but I had now become a "screen lock" user - including phone on and phone off with the banking app's password.

I had go into setting - select screen lock - enter password and confirm it - to remove screen lock.

How the hell - did this app - or whoever get to the settings on the phone and insert a screen lock password? I guess it has to be the app -same password ???????

Any wild speculation welcome - serious answers would be better....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which banking app, and how long had you been using it? I would not be surprised if the app required the user to use a screen lock for security reasons -- if you think about it, it's extremely risky not to have a good screen lock while also having very sensitive apps like banking apps on the phone.

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
My speculation... anyone around you that knows your account information could do something like this ?

Serious answer... i never Heard a bank app left open overnight put a security lock screen on the device that didn't have one .

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which banking app, and how long had you been using it? I would not be surprised if the app required the user to use a screen lock for security reasons -- if you think about it, it's extremely risky not to have a good screen lock while also having very sensitive apps like banking apps on the phone.

Agreed, but I've never heard of an app setting a screen lock outside of a user's direct control. If something like that is what happened, that itself would be very concerning as a security risk. Just imagine some "banking" app uploaded to an apk site that is actually ransomware that locks you out.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Agreed, but I've never heard of an app setting a screen lock outside of a user's direct control. If something like that is what happened, that itself would be very concerning as a security risk. Just imagine some "banking" app uploaded to an apk site that is actually ransomware that locks you out.

Yeah, that's true. Something is off about all of this. Hopefully the OP will register and give more details.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

Yep I would think the app would just time out and lock itself... not the whole phone?

gogoog

Nov 23, 2022
Visit site
yes - this is a true story the app that seeed to insert its password as a phone was a typical online account - Bank of the West - in this case

something to understand - this included locking for "on or off" commands - so i could not shut off or reboot the phone. (battery soldered)

i am thinking about trying to reproduce this behavior by imitating the exact conditions - but it may take along "screen down" time for the commands to be issued...... in any case it wont do it in a ten or twenty minute wait....

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
yes - this is a true story the app that seeed to insert its password as a phone was a typical online account - Bank of the West - in this case

something to understand - this included locking for "on or off" commands - so i could not shut off or reboot the phone. (battery soldered)

i am thinking about trying to reproduce this behavior by imitating the exact conditions - but it may take along "screen down" time for the commands to be issued...... in any case it wont do it in a ten or twenty minute wait....
Welcome to AC!
Your the original poster?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I made you the owner of the original guest post to make it easier for you to find.

Are you also using this phone for work? If so, does your work IT department supervise anything on the phone?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995