Restore Issues and Samsung Gallery Issues

kvan01

Feb 3, 2023
Visit site
Hello,

New S22 Ultra, tried to restore backup yesterday and it failed so did a factory reset and tried again, something else failed, did another factory reset it didn't really reset as the setup process asked way less questions and downloaded things that I had unchecked. Tried yet again to Factory Reset and left it for a few hours before setting up again and still encountered issues.

Is it possible to do an actual Factory Reset as choosing Factory Reset from the menu doesn't seem to be 100%.

And no apps are showing my camera roll or any albums if you go to upload a photo or video, but when you open the Samsung Gallery App, all my photos and albums are there. What is going on?

I've uninstalled and reinstalled all apps individually, tried the factory reset, etc... and nothing is working. I've tried calling Samsung several times, and they won't help.

Is this because of the restore glitches or is there a software issue I'm not aware of? I'm at a loss of where to go for help these days as the phone was bought from Samsung and they do not care or help.

I hope this makes sense as I was so excited for a new phone.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Is this a used phone you purchased from a private seller? Perhaps he forgot to remove his Google/ Samsung accounts. If that's the case you'll need to contact him in order to go about performing the FRP. Otherwise the phone is a paperweight. https://www.androidcentral.com/factory-reset-protection-what-you-need-know

Please register as a member to reply for more assistance. https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=409154&p=3754645&viewfull=1#post3754645

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

kvan01

Feb 3, 2023
Visit site
New S22 Ultra Restore Issues & Samsung Gallery Issues

Hello,

Have been trying to set up a new S22 Ultra for the past few days and encountered several issues.

What I've done:

Initial setup, followed the prompts, signed in with Samsung Account, Onedrive and Google and restored my backup but it encountered an error on some items so I did a factory reset and tried again, this time without any apps, however it still restored apps that I had unticked so did Factory Reset again and this happened a few times, each time there were errors or it restored something that I had not selected. It was as if the Factory Reset wasn't working 100%, in the end I think I did it about 8 times and started to become very concerned for my backups.

On the final try I only signed into my Samsung Account from the Factory Reset, didn't allow any apps but it still downloaded some non Samsung Apps, signed in manually to Onedrive and Google, downloaded all apps one by one from the Play Store, signed in to all and allowed everything to sync and any software updates available along with clearing caches.

Not convinced it was 100% but not sure what else to do, tried to use the phone and discovered any apps that use Samsung Gallery to upload a photo or video does not work. When starting a new post it appears blank where it would normally show your Samsung Gallery Camera Roll including the tab that usually shows your Samsung Gallery Albums/Folders but when you open Samsung Gallery App they are there. I opened the Samsung Gallery App info, scrolled to bottom where it shows where it was downloaded from and when it opened the Samsung Galaxy Store an error message popped up to say Samsung Gallery doesn't exist.

I called the call centre and one signed onto my phone to see and could see the issue but didn't know what to do. They recommended for me to post on the Samsung community website which I tried to submit via Samsung Internet App for past few days and the curser kept jumping all over the screen as I typing, it kept freezing and then eventually crashing but as I haven't done much on the device I am not sure if it is all related or if that was actually the Samsung website.

Called again and they asked for it be taken to a service centre which I will do but I am hoping someone might have experienced what I am describing and be able to assist as I was really excited for a new device and not looking forward to have to send it away and I am now really really concerned about my backups. I was able to post on the Samsung Community Website from my laptop with no issues but didn't receive an helpful responses.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Last edited by a moderator:

kvan01

Feb 3, 2023
Visit site
Re: New S22 Ultra Restore Issues & Samsung Gallery Issues

Hello,
I have registered and signed in before posting my question?

I restored from the prompts after turning the phone on and signing into Samsung Account, Onedrive and Google as I am unable to use the previous device.

kvan01

Feb 3, 2023
Visit site
Re: New S22 Ultra Restore Issues & Samsung Gallery Issues

Yes, how did you find it? I did that the other day and wasn't sure if it posted because I couldn't find it anywhere on my profile or from searching the forum, I also emailed to ask where I could find it with no reply, so I tried again.

kvan01

Feb 3, 2023
Visit site
Where are you doing the restore?
One drive?
Google photos?
Samsung smart switch PC ? Smart switch between devices?

Samsung cloud doesn't back up gallery

Hello,

I have restored from my Samsung Account, Onedrive and Google via the prompts when you turn on the phone as previous device is not available, it was coming from a S22 normal and haven't had this issue before when changing devices without the previous one.

kvan01

Feb 3, 2023
Visit site
Is this a used phone you purchased from a private seller? Perhaps he forgot to remove his Google/ Samsung accounts. If that's the case you'll need to contact him in order to go about performing the FRP. Otherwise the phone is a paperweight. https://www.androidcentral.com/factory-reset-protection-what-you-need-know

Please register as a member to reply for more assistance. https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=409154&p=3754645&viewfull=1#post3754645

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Hello,

I was registered and signed in before posting my question and couldn't find it again. The phone was bought from Samsung and is a brand new device not a refurb or second hand.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello,

I have restored from my Samsung Account, Onedrive and Google via the prompts when you turn on the phone as previous device is not available, it was coming from a S22 normal and haven't had this issue before when changing devices without the previous one.
Welcome to AC!

So your saying it doesn't see a previous back up?

kvan01

Feb 3, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to AC!

So your saying it doesn't see a previous back up?

No, they are all there but a few issues:
- no apps selected to restore except one and yet non Samsung apps were restored but different ones after each restore after a Factory Reset.
- each time different amount of text messages and call logs came through.
- each time different settings.
- Any app that uses Samsung Gallery to upload photos/videos/albums is blank when you create a new post but when you open Samsung Gallery App the camera roll is full as are the albums.
- when you check for app updates Samsung Gallery comes up with that it doesn't exist in the Samsung Galaxy store.

I am sure there are other things but I have done it so many times now i am losing track, the Samsung Gallery issue would probably be my main issue I'd love to figure out. I haven't touched it since doing the Factory Reset as suggested above in the hopes I can do it one more time and get it right from some advice.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No, they are all there but a few issues:
- no apps selected to restore except one and yet non Samsung apps were restored but different ones after each restore after a Factory Reset.
- each time different amount of text messages and call logs came through.
- each time different settings.
- Any app that uses Samsung Gallery to upload photos/videos/albums is blank when you create a new post but when you open Samsung Gallery App the camera roll is full as are the albums.
- when you check for app updates Samsung Gallery comes up with that it doesn't exist in the Samsung Galaxy store.

I am sure there are other things but I have done it so many times now i am losing track, the Samsung Gallery issue would probably be my main issue I'd love to figure out. I haven't touched it since doing the Factory Reset as suggested above in the hopes I can do it one more time and get it right from some advice.
And the previous phone you had was older Samsung?

Just want clear picture before suggesting anything

Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk

kvan01

Feb 3, 2023
Visit site
And the previous phone you had was older Samsung?

Just want clear picture before suggesting anything

Previous phone was S22 normal, bought from Samsung, had a loan phone for two weeks which was an S8+ and then the new S22 Ultra.

When I set up the S8+ the same way it worked fine, as I didn't have access to the S22 as Samsung had it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Previous phone was S22 normal, bought from Samsung, had a loan phone for two weeks which was an S8+ and then the new S22 Ultra.

When I set up the S8+ the same way it worked fine, as I didn't have access to the S22 as Samsung had it.
It's possible things got messed up because S8+ was on older Android version compared to the s22u

Try 2 things
Go to settings>general management>reset>reset settings

Go to setting>apps>3 Dot upper right corner tap>reset app preferences

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek