HDMI output not working after Kit Kat Update

A

AC Question

Is anyone else having an issue plugging in your phone to an HDMI cable after the update? MyHDMI out just stopped working after the update. No other issues except for SMS smileys since the update.

Mr JuggZ

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Are you using an MHL adapter?

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

Yes I am using this one.
MAXAH® 6.5 Feet MHL Micro USB to HDMI Cable Adapter 1080P HDTV for Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3 Note3 Note2 MEGA Tab 3 8.0 10.1,Tab Pro,Note 8,Note Pro

been using it for a year without any isses. But does not work after kit kat update..

Last edited:

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes I am using this one.
MAXAH® 6.5 Feet MHL Micro USB to HDMI Cable Adapter 1080P HDTV for Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3 Note3 Note2 MEGA Tab 3 8.0 10.1,Tab Pro,Note 8,Note Pro

been using it for a year without any isses. But does not work after kit kat update..
Interesting, I haven't tried it after 4.4.2, I'll have to check it out and let you know.

I know the instructions that came with mine required the TV and phone to be turned off then turned on together once connected. Pita if you ask me. I'll try it this evening and see how it goes though.

Mr JuggZ

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Interesting, I haven't tried it after 4.4.2, I'll have to check it out and let you know.

I know the instructions that came with mine required the TV and phone to be turned off then turned on together once connected. Pita if you ask me. I'll try it this evening and see how it goes though.

That is an idea. I will have to try that out as well. I know before the kit kat update it was plug and play with the MHL cable no need for a restart with it plugged in..
Let me know your finding. Have a good night

Mr JuggZ

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Ok here is an update on my findings.. I tried the power on while connected to hdmi and tv. Nothing changed. Still can't get any sort of hdmi or audio output detection from note 3.. but it will charge when USB is connected to tv..
So I keep looking. Found another forum with another person asking the same issue. There someone suggested that after the kit kat update you do a hard system cache clear.. it is when you get into this DoS mode when you power on the phone.. tried it and with high hopes failed on getting the hdmi output to work..
So my next move is to call Verizon because they sent out the update to the phone and hopefully get someone with some knowledge and can help me with this.. I hope I don't have to exchange my phone.. I own it outright and I don't want some refurbished pos....

More details to come...
Have a great weekend... ;-)

Mr JuggZ

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
My MHL cable is good. Only use it when I need it. I keep it nicely wrapped up in it anti static bag that it came in. I've tried it on a few hdmi tv and the same result..
Are you using your MHL cable on your note 2 or note 3?

Last edited:

Mr JuggZ

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Well I tried it again doing the while process hooking up the MHL cable to my note 3 then to the hdmi on the tv. Restart my note 3 while it is all connected. . And nothing. Phone charges but no display.. I know my cable is good. It was working just fine the day before the update then not after the kit kat update...😯
I guess my next step is to call Verizon and or go into best buy. .

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what they did to your phone lol. But it does sound like something is wrong. I'm all out of ideas. 😢. Sorry. Let us know if you get it fixed by Verizon. Good luck!

Marco Dorazio

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem with my xperia z2 tablet. I have two mhl-vga cable that i used without problem before firmware update (kitkat). Actually i can't use them. When i'm connecting the cable (with alimentation) appears the text: battery is discharging because alimentation in not enough.

Giridhar Mudedla

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi I am also having the same problem. if some one knows the fix, kindly please let me know...
Details :
Samsung Galaxy S-II (i9100 installed with 4.4.4) connected with Original Samsung HDTV Adapter: EIA2UHUNBKG and the same being connected to Sony Bravia KV-32R422B (Version: v9.010)
When connected, Audio getting suppressed from Mobile but still not coming out from TV. and Video not at all successful.

Thanks in Advance...

htc one m8

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I just started having this issue with my HTC one m8 after the 4.4.4 update. My mlh now only works when the charger is hooked up to the mph adapter. If your mlh adapter has a charger input try that if not then maybe try using a micro usb splitter to connect both.