Nexus 5 battery drain

N

Nav1996

Android os is draining battery even when phone not in use.. Usage exceeding 60% whereas the next biggest battery drainer is the screen at little as 8%. Anyone know how to fix this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The percentages aren't that helpful unless we know how long your battery is lasting, how much screen-on time you're getting per charge, how much time without cell signal you have, etc. If you're doing nothing with your phone, then the OS will likely be a large percentage of use, because it's always going to be doing something in the background, and if nothing else is going on, OS will use a higher percentage of the battery. But the absolute use may not be much.

To give you an idea, 3 hours of total screen-on time is pretty standard for the Nexus 5. Expect battery life to be worse if you often have poor cell signal, since it takes battery to search for weak signal.

Nav96

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey, thanks for the reply! My screen time is not even one hour, I charge my phone before sleeping to 100% when I wake up, its like 60%. Phone not even in use, signal strength is strong, wifi and locational services all off. The android os battery usage is always high since the new update regardless of however long i use my phone. I'm only getting around 6 hours of battery while only using my phone for maximum one hour in total.

Nav96

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I cleared the system cashe partition but that also didn't seem to make much of a difference.

From 100% charge to 47% took 6h but screentime only 1hr 2 mins (usually i would get through almost 2 days from 100% to around 10%)
Then on another day, 100% to 8% took 15h with screentime only 1h 16mins. Screenshots will follow.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The more recent screenshots seem to show more awake time than the older one (that showed better battery life), so you might be using the phone more, or your apps might be keeping the phone awake for some reason. Unfortunately, when OS is the main battery consumer, it can be hard to pinpoint what exactly in the OS is using battery.

Did you go through the Battery Saving Tips guide? Is your Location Reporting off?

Nav96

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, i've figured that out but really can't tell exactly WHAT the apps are. I've disabled all the google apps i don't use (google+, books etc.) and other apps i don't use. I've had a look through the battery saving guide, i pretty much do all the things anyway. My locational services are off, yes. I just switched to ART mode after reading through some forums that it's shown to give much better battery life, so I'll see how that goes!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh, here's something else to try: Turn off any clock alarms that you have set. Don't keep them on the whole day if you actually use them--only turn them on the night before (if you use it as an alarm clock). I've seen behavior before where the alarm clock causes an increase in wakelocks, which might contribute to battery use.