nexus 4 rooted internet problems

A

AC Question

I rooted my nexus 4 so I could get adblock working properly and install privacy x however since rooting the only apps to connect to the internet ok are firefox and tunein radio. Im hoping this will be an obvious fix to someone as google comes up with allsorts of ideas and I dont want to make my phone problems worse. Thanks in advance if you can help.

KindJester

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi thanks for the reply. Its not just chrome that isnt connecting ok all apps (apart from firefox, tunein radio and speedtest) say server error or cannot connect, chrome says err_tunnel_connection_failed and nothings changed apart from the root (I had adblock on the phone before and tried disabling it bit no difference) Im thinking now of installing a custom rom when I get some time tomorrow and hoping that will cure the connection problems.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi thanks for the reply. Its not just chrome that isnt connecting ok all apps (apart from firefox, tunein radio and speedtest) say server error or cannot connect, chrome says err_tunnel_connection_failed and nothings changed apart from the root (I had adblock on the phone before and tried disabling it bit no difference) Im thinking now of installing a custom rom when I get some time tomorrow and hoping that will cure the connection problems.

There has been a known problem with Adblock that messes up the internet connect.

Here are just some examples of users having issues with WiFi not working properly with Adblock Plus.
https://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12493&start=15

You can get around this by simply uninstalling it.

You can try these methods:

Adfree Android Newest Version - xda-developers

(MoaAB) Mother of All AD-BLOCKING (20 MAY 2014) BLOCKS Malware Spyware Bloatware - xda-developers

or you can download the Adblock plus add-on in the Mozilla Firefox browser.

KindJester

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Because adblock worked with no problems before the root I would have never thought it could cause these problems, but since uninstalling it all is working again with the internet on my phone. Ive installed adfree and its blocking the ads so im happy, thanks for the replies :)

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Because adblock worked with no problems before the root I would have never thought it could cause these problems, but since uninstalling it all is working again with the internet on my phone. Ive installed adfree and its blocking the ads so im happy, thanks for the replies :)

Glad it worked out. Come back to AC if you run into any other problems.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Glad it worked out. Come back to AC if you run into any other problems.

Or when you don't have any problems and want to help other users out!

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app