Is my phone bricked beyond saving? (HTC One SV, tried to install CyanogenMod)

A

AC Question

Okay, this all happened because I tried to install CyanogenMod without taking into consideration the fact that I'm using the SV version, of which there does not seem to be any easy way to install CyanogenMod on.

My provider is Boost Mobile if that's important.

The first step I took was to unlock the bootloader, which was successful (I did use the HTCDev website, submit my identifier token, and it definitely worked).

The real trouble was when I tried flashing my recovery and boot .img's using the files in this link (for the HTC One S): How to Install CyanogenMod on the HTC One S ("ville") - CyanogenMod

Terrible mistake, I know. I think my phone is bricked, but I'm not 100% sure because this is the first time I've tampered with any phone on this level. The only comparable mistake was when I accidentally formatted my hard drive when I tried installing Arch on my desktop, two years ago.

Right now, my phone won't start properly. When I do a normal bootup, by simply holding down the power button, I get treated to the HTC logo followed by a blank blackish-grey screen. I have to remove the battery to exit it. I can access fastboot, but when I attempt to access recovery I get taken to a perpetual load screen with an HTC logo and "Entering recovery mode..." on top of it. I have to remove my battery at this point because it never goes beyond that screen.

The other trouble is that while I seem to be able to access my phone through a USB cable, and apparently detect it using the "fastboot devices" command, the device itself doesn't seem to show up on Windows (as C525c, like it did before). I'm not sure if this has to do with me screwing up my boot and recovery .img's or my USB drivers.

Is it possible to at least bring my phone back to its original state? I hear that there is a difference between "soft-bricking" and "hard-bricking," so I suspect my case is the former. I'd rather not spend any money on a new phone unless there literally is no other way, so I need to know how to restore it to where I can at least make calls and keep contacts.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Okay, this all happened because I tried to install CyanogenMod without taking into consideration the fact that I'm using the SV version, of which there does not seem to be any easy way to install CyanogenMod on.

My provider is Boost Mobile if that's important.

The first step I took was to unlock the bootloader, which was successful (I did use the HTCDev website, submit my identifier token, and it definitely worked).

The real trouble was when I tried flashing my recovery and boot .img's using the files in this link (for the HTC One S): How to Install CyanogenMod on the HTC One S ("ville") - CyanogenMod

Terrible mistake, I know. I think my phone is bricked, but I'm not 100% sure because this is the first time I've tampered with any phone on this level. The only comparable mistake was when I accidentally formatted my hard drive when I tried installing Arch on my desktop, two years ago.

Right now, my phone won't start properly. When I do a normal bootup, by simply holding down the power button, I get treated to the HTC logo followed by a blank blackish-grey screen. I have to remove the battery to exit it. I can access fastboot, but when I attempt to access recovery I get taken to a perpetual load screen with an HTC logo and "Entering recovery mode..." on top of it. I have to remove my battery at this point because it never goes beyond that screen.

The other trouble is that while I seem to be able to access my phone through a USB cable, and apparently detect it using the "fastboot devices" command, the device itself doesn't seem to show up on Windows (as C525c, like it did before). I'm not sure if this has to do with me screwing up my boot and recovery .img's or my USB drivers.

Is it possible to at least bring my phone back to its original state? I hear that there is a difference between "soft-bricking" and "hard-bricking," so I suspect my case is the former. I'd rather not spend any money on a new phone unless there literally is no other way, so I need to know how to restore it to where I can at least make calls and keep contacts.

Hi there! Thanks for trying out AC.

Let's get started with the basics. The recovery. Do you have the recovery file? If so, we need to flash it.

Are you familiar with the bootloader menu as well as fastboot? You'll need to know these.

Access the bootloader menu (power off the phone, then hold power +vol up button).

Select fastboot from the menu.

Wait until you see "fastboot" in red text on the phone's screen.

Connect it to the PC.

See if it changes from "fastboot" to "fastboot usb"

Let me know once you get to this point.

True to Augustus

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi, this is the OP. I am certainly able to see it change from "fastboot" to "fastboot-usb." In fact, my entire afternoon was spent in a tedious cycle of removing the battery -- reinserting the battery -- rebooting to fastboot, plugging it using my USB -- try to experiment with various options (even checked the Image CRC or whatever it was called) -- get stuck on a perpetual load screen -- remove battery -- etc.

The recovery file? I'm not sure if you mean the recovery file that already comes with the phone (does something like that exist?), or the one I tried to flash in order to install CyanogenMod, or the one I took from this one thread on the XDA forums that was meant to be some sort of Jelly Bean clone (as far as I can recall, because I'm on my laptop right now, and the stuff for reference is on my desktop computer which I can't access at the moment). Sorry if my tone comes across as sarcastic, because I'm really not sure, and I'm completely serious about fixing this (tone can get lost through the written word if you're not careful).

True to Augustus

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Okay, I just flashed my recovery from a file in that link, and I'm finally able to boot into recovery. I'm not sure what to do next.

My options are: Install, Wipe, Backup, Restore, Mount, Settings, Advanced, Reboot.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I just flashed my recovery from a file in that link, and I'm finally able to boot into recovery. I'm not sure what to do next.

My options are: Install, Wipe, Backup, Restore, Mount, Settings, Advanced, Reboot.

Well you got quite far, see if you can mount the phone in recovery on your PC. Just go mount in TWRP, and make sure you check all the boxes.

True to Augustus

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Okay, here's the thing right now, when I check all the boxes and press "Mount," Windows 7 tells me that I need to "format the disk in drive E: before you can use it." I don't think I should do this because it would wipe out what I have on my phone right now. Is there any workaround?

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Okay, here's the thing right now, when I check all the boxes and press "Mount," Windows 7 tells me that I need to "format the disk in drive E: before you can use it." I don't think I should do this because it would wipe out what I have on my phone right now. Is there any workaround?
You'll have to format it if you want it mounted. I don't think it will wipe the phone. If you want, you can try ADB Sideload and flash a ROM that way using adb commands.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

True to Augustus

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Okay, after doing a quick Google search, I just formatted it to FAT32, and I'm able to see it on Windows now. I'm not sure what to do next though. Do I need to flash something again? I just want to get a working system from which I can do more later on.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Okay, after doing a quick Google search, I just formatted it to FAT32, and I'm able to see it on Windows now. I'm not sure what to do next though. Do I need to flash something again? I just want to get a working system from which I can do more later on.

Yep! Now you can drag in a ROM! One SV Android Development - xda-developers

Check something out from there. Or do you have something already?

Also, could you do me a favor and click "reply with quote."

It notifies me when you responded. Thanks.

True to Augustus

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I'm the process of saving the zip file of version 1.0.0 (the other versions didn't have workable links)
It says "ViperSV, starting from version 1.1.0, works on both International GSM/CDMA and LTE variant." So 1.0.0 will not do.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, I finished saving the zip file. What do I do with it? I see on another site which instructs users to go to the Install section of their Recovery, but I'm not sure if this applies to me. I'd have to unmount my phone to get to my Install section (I think)

How to Flash a ROM to Your Android Phone
Pssst, I'm right here! I'll show you how. :) It's real easy.