Beginner deciding if I should root my Nexus 5

A

AC Question

Hi all
I'm new to the forums, and to the rooting scene, so forgive me for not knowing too much about all this.
I just got a new Nexus 5, and I am looking at rooting it. I like the stock kitkat OS, but I would like to be rooted so I can give apps like AdBlock superuser permissions. What I want to know, is can I root, but keep the stock Android look and feel?
I'm running 4.4.3, Build number KTU84M
Any help is greatly appreciated.

deckj1577

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah you can absolutely keep your stock look and feel. Rooting your phone only allows you permission to change your phone's interface and functionality. But by no means does that mean you have to change a thing. You won't notice a thing different (in day-to-day usage) except probably a superuser button in your settings menu. However, most of the best custom ROMs out there have the nexus 5s basic look and feel with tons of added features. Flashing custom ROMs can be done through your recovery system after rooting your phone. Just to name a few of the most popular ROMs out there.. Cyanogenmod 11, Paranoid Android, AOKP, Carbon ROM, and Liquidsmooth ROM (the ROM I'm using now) are all "AOSP based" ROMs - meaning that they look and feel exactly like your nexus 5 do with more features that you could imagine.

That being said.. You don't have to ever flash a ROM. You can keep it 100% nexus 5, but also be rooted.

I would HIGHLY suggest unlocking your bootloader, flashing a custom recovery like CWM or TWRP (I use Philz Touch CWM-based recovery) and rooting your phone if for nothing else but to create a Nandroid backup, which can save your *** if you ever brick your phone somehow.

Do take time and diligence researching the rooting process. Watch YouTube videos.. There should be plenty of tutorials geared towards your specific phone that guide you every step of the way. But as long as you properly install a custom recovery and do a Nandroid backup of your stock ROM, then it will be smooth sailing. The only regret you'll have is that you didn't root earlier.

Happy rooting!

Posted via Android Central App

deckj1577

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah you definitely make it trickier on yourself to use a warrantee. I've read articles saying that relocking and unrooting your phone can allow you to use your warrantee once again.. But I've also read conflicting articles saying that the Mobile companies can still detect the bootloader having been unlocked.. In which case the warrantee is considered void. Long story short - most likely still void, but not necessarily so.

From a software standpoint there should be zero reason to need a warrantee, as any errors or bugs are easily fixable by flashing a new ROM. A custom recovery will allow you to restart from brand-new should a software-related disaster (brick) occur.

Hardware issues may require use of your warrantee though if there's some sort of defect. Just steer clear of overclocking your CPU to the maximum and your rooting endeavors shouldn't ever be the cause of new hardware defects. In fact there's a ton of features that enable your phone to conserve energy and directly improve the lifetime of your battery, for one example.

If you feel confident that your phone's sturdy enough for your needs, and the speakers and buttons all work, then you'll be fine without a warrantee. I gladly trade my warrantee for an enhanced phone. (If my buttons ever stop working, I'll use swipe gestures instead. I haven't used my screen on/screen off button in weeks because I'm rooted)

frag06

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi all
I'm new to the forums, and to the rooting scene, so forgive me for not knowing too much about all this.
I just got a new Nexus 5, and I am looking at rooting it. I like the stock kitkat OS, but I would like to be rooted so I can give apps like AdBlock superuser permissions. What I want to know, is can I root, but keep the stock Android look and feel?
I'm running 4.4.3, Build number KTU84M
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Read this XDA post. It should help answer any questions you may have about rooting your N5.