Moto G/Consumer Cellular Data Wierdness

A

AC Question

I have a minimal 100 MB plan with CC. For several months, I had no problem. About 10 days ago, my phone started moving BIG quantities of data. I'm almost to 1 GB now. They are in relatively large chunks of 20-100 MB and usually in the middle of the night when my phone is powered-off. I have mobile data turned off on the phone, but it continue to use it anyway and, the phone itself thinks that I've only used about 20 MB in that time frame.

I installed MyDataManager to get a handle on this, and it shows no mobile data usage in the past 5 days, but consumer cellular is showing 7 MB.

To verify, I powered the phone down for three days (you can't remove the battery). I'm still getting data charges. My most recent attempt to stop this is to turn on Airplane Mode.

Does anyone have a clue as to what is happening?

Thanks in advance,
-g

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Have you called CC, gotten billing, and told them that you were being billed for using data when the phone was turned off, and that you're going to be forced to take further steps if this continues? (What they're doing is a crime known in some states as "larceny by fraud" - your state may call it something different, but it's still a felony. It could be an accident, but it's rare enough that it's probably not. If it were you wouldn't be the only one seeing it, most of their customers would, and we'd probably be seeing a few more posts.)

(They may claim that it's due to their attempts to send you an update, but that's their problem - you pay for data you accept, not data they throw at you when your phone is turned off. If that were legal, everyone who didn't have unlimited data would be paying thousands of dollars a month for service.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC