Changing phones without going through Verizon or altering contract?

A

AC Question

Hello,

I am using a Motorola Droid Bionic. I recently dropped it and cracked the screen; trying to fix it, I screwed it up worse. Anyways, I was looking for another Droid Bionic so I could just swap out the SIM card and be done with it, then found out I could buy something else (like a Samsung Galaxy s4) and just trim down the SIM card to fit.

Here's some questions:

1-- My parents are the administrators of our family plan. I've gone to Verizon before but since I wasn't the admin they wouldn't let me do anything. My parents see that I need a new phone but I keep telling them it is fine for now...they work all the time and I do not want to bother them. Plus they always go ahead and get me the latest and greatest and they pay for it...I'm not okay with that. I have the money. So if I got a clean ESN Verizon Galaxy s4 (off ebay or craigslist, perhaps) would it be as simple as trimming down my SIM card, popping it in, and I'm ready to go? Or would I still have to go to Verizon to activate it?

2-- I have nine saved voicemails, dating from 2004, which are very important to me. Do I risk losing these if I damage my SIM card in the trimming process?

3-- On our family plan we have a certain allowance of data allowed. I'm not sure what else affects the total of our family plan. If I upgraded to a Galaxy s4 (by finding one as stated off craiglist or ebay and trimming the card myself), would it somehow affect our monthly bill? Would Verizon even know my phone was now different?

Thanks guys...sorry for these dumb questions. :)

Hi2Jenn

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
1 - you can trim the sim card and it will work. I did it by hand, but I think having a sim cutter would be easier.
2. - you really need to transfer those voicemails because verizon has been known to reset VM and you lose them with no recourse. I would do a playback of them into a data file on your computer instead of leaving them in VM. I don't think the SIM would affect it, but I don't really know.
3 - Yes, they will know you have a new phone. However, if you did not purchase it from a retailer and agree to a plan change, it would have no effect whatsoever on your account or the $$. We frequently pass phones down to the kids. it doesn't affect the account at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad