Android - stuck on start screen - root mistake

A

AC Question

Hello All,

I have an Alcatel one touch 983 running gingerbread, it was rooted some time ago,
I am upgrading so was resetting it to factory defaults, after doing this and wiping the SD card (I also deleted a few files manually via it being connected to usb.

After it was done restoring factory defaults it restarted and then ever since, the startup screen hangs. sometimes it shows the Alcatel logo screen, at other times it will just show the green android robot.
it never loads into android.

When I boot into recovery by using volume up and holding power - it loads a screen saying something along the lines of "all data will be lost, continue?" there are no other options showing.

The phone also randomly turns itself on and the green android appears.

Must be a software issue, but I don't know what to do as I can't get to recovery or other options?.

Thank you.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Hello All,

I have an Alcatel one touch 983 running gingerbread, it was rooted some time ago,
I am upgrading so was resetting it to factory defaults, after doing this and wiping the SD card (I also deleted a few files manually via it being connected to usb.

After it was done restoring factory defaults it restarted and then ever since, the startup screen hangs. sometimes it shows the Alcatel logo screen, at other times it will just show the green android robot.
it never loads into android.

When I boot into recovery by using volume up and holding power - it loads a screen saying something along the lines of "all data will be lost, continue?" there are no other options showing.

The phone also randomly turns itself on and the green android appears.

Must be a software issue, but I don't know what to do as I can't get to recovery or other options?.

Thank you.

Hello.

What recovery do you have?

earthway22

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

Thanks for the reply, I completed the root using a package I found online, adb recovery.
I have found the stock rom, but I don't know how to correct or restore everything.

The only screen I get in recovery is the message about all data being deleted.

Thanks.

earthway22

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I am not sure what to do next, if I hold the power button and volume up key I get to a screen with "All data will be lost, continue?" but no other options. when in this mode I can see the drive mounted via USB, but it is completely empty. When I try to drag and drop files it says the file is no longer in the location or cannot find file (even though the file is there on the hard drive). . I have adb installed and setup but it says waiting for device when I try fastboot/flash.

Can anyone give me some simple steps to restore the device (I have the rom, sdk, drivers, etc).
seems a shame to have to buy a new one as it's a software issue but I guess I will have to?

Thanks

When

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I am not sure what to do next, if I hold the power button and volume up key I get to a screen with "All data will be lost, continue?" but no other options. when in this mode I can see the drive mounted via USB, but it is completely empty. When I try to drag and drop files it says the file is no longer in the location or cannot find file (even though the file is there on the hard drive). . I have adb installed and setup but it says waiting for device when I try fastboot/flash.

Can anyone give me some simple steps to restore the device (I have the rom, sdk, drivers, etc).
seems a shame to have to buy a new one as it's a software issue but I guess I will have to?

Thanks

When

This is what i was able to find: If this is the same phone this should be ok to do, you can load the rom on the SD card, and then you should be able to flash it in recovery. I would download the first link and then install from SD card.

[HELP] Looking for Stock Rom for Alcatel OT-983 - xda-developers

Post #10

earthway22

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

Thank you for the reply, I was just giving up hope of saving the phone!. I have the rom, do I remove the SD card and copy files to it, then put it back in the phone?.

How do I then get it over to the file system?

The files in the rom are image files, (boot, recovery, system). Do I need to copy any adb files over or?.
could you let me know the next step, (such as a command in adb) once I have the files on the SD card,

I knew what I was doing last year when I rooted it, but I have forgotten already!

Thanks.

earthway22

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I have taken out the SD card and loaded it up on my PC, I can now see all the files are intact, (I had the drive partitioned and used link2sd, etc). Shall I wipe everything (I have backed up) and what exactly do I need to copy to the SD card.

Thanks.

earthway22

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

Could someone please tell me how to do this? When I hold the power button and volume up key it loads the screen with ""All data will be lost, continue?"" which shows various languages, but there are no other options.

When I try to access it via cmd on a usb connection it says error device not found.

Thanks

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

Could someone please tell me how to do this? When I hold the power button and volume up key it loads the screen with ""All data will be lost, continue?"" which shows various languages, but there are no other options.

When I try to access it via cmd on a usb connection it says error device not found.

Thanks

Device not found is an error that is probably caused by bad drivers. You can try to reinstall them. Beyond that I don't know how to help you with ADB commands.

As for the recovery issue, I am not sure how to proceed with that either. I don't want to say go ahead, because if that action wipes your recovery it probably will be bricked.

earthway22

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

Hello, I may be getting somewhere (or making things worse, I don't know!) adb via command prompt did not detect the device, I was however able to get fastboot to work, I used the command fastboot oem unlock, then I used the commands fastboot erase boot, fastboot erase recovery, and the same for userdata, system. that worked, I then used the commands fastboot flash boot boot.img (and the same for recovery and system. )

However, it still does not work and still gets stuck on loading screen.
What am I doing wrong?.

Thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol