50mb of data on S5!!!!! Is it enough?

A

AC Question

I've heard elsewhere that this (50mb) was "way" to small for a galaxy s5. Plz I want to know if this will be ideal!!???!! I am around wifi for most of the day, except when i go to school. I wont be using it while I am in school, but a few google searches would be nice (no email, no downloads). I don't want any data overages, but I do want to use my phone to its full potential; is 50mb a month enough??? Also how much kb does a webpage take up? Thanks!!!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: 50mb of data!!!!

Well, for most users, 50MB won't last too long (in my case, not even a day!). A webpage may vary in size depending on how many images it has, interactive stuff, etc. If you're around WiFi most of the time, then you probably won't have to worry, but if you REALLY want to use this while out and about, 50 Megs is probably not going to cut it. Google Search will not take a lot of your data and if you're using it mostly for IM (Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, etc.), 50MB might be just enough to get you through the month, as long as you don't download many images or videos. Browsing pages like Facebook too often would be out of the question; every time you visit the page and/or load the newsfeed on the app it can take a couple of Megabytes.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: 50mb of data!!!!

I've heard elsewhere that this (50mb) was "way" to small for a galaxy s5. Plz I want to know if this will be ideal!!???!! I am around wifi for most of the day, except when i go to school. I wont be using it while I am in school, but a few google searches would be nice (no email, no downloads). I don't want any data overages, but I do want to use my phone to its full potential; is 50mb a month enough??? Also how much kb does a webpage take up? Thanks!!!

I would say probably not. I am kind of light with AT&T, and after a few months of monitoring my use, I still go over 1 GB, no matter how careful I am.

A

AC Question

Galaxy s5

What monthly data plan do you think is good for the S5; 50mb, 300mb or 500mb. My house has wifi and I will only do a few (5 or 6) google searches a day, like very light usage, I don't depend on data, but I want to use my phone to its full potential. I will do all my downloads and emailing on wifi, so that's not an issue. I'm also out of my house for 8 hours a day (not counting weekends), if that's any help. Finally, will android use a lot (like more than 1mb) background data?? Thank you! All help appreciated.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Galaxy s5

You would have to really economise to stick under 500mb, with everything downloaded over wifi only . I have a (extendable) data bundle limit of 1.5gb which is 50mb a day, but I have a mobile hotspot I use at home that I can take with me. I use about 3.5gb extra with that 'wifi'.
I understand what you are saying about brief web usage, but there is a lot going on now behind the scenes and everything depends on data from somewhere, which I hate.
I would only go for 500 mb if you can upgrade or occasionally pay for data bolt-ons without penalty.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

A

AC Question

Samsung galaxy s5

I have read the prior articles stating this, they were no help!! I have basic question, will 50mb of data get by on a galaxy s5?????????? Taking into account that I will be over wifi most of the time. I will have all my emails and downloads done on wifi. If I do very light browsing on google chrome (with data reduction mode), will I get by!??!! Plz, this is the only plan I can afford, and I'm really sad, because I wanted this phone, so bad!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Samsung galaxy s5

no.
I appreciate you are on a budget. This is your fourth thread. @Spookdroid gave great tips I didn't know.
You can try it, and see if less than 2mb a day with easy access to wifi will work. I have been in your shoes when I was a lot younger. The S5 is a great phone but you would need to turn everything off.
I won't bring up the Ferrari and fuel analogy, well I might
As a last measure so you can decide, why not join AC and give your question in Introductions - Android Central Lounge. There are more ambassadors there like Spook Droid who would have better knowledge of this, or they may pick up your question here a bit later.
@dpham00 has great knowledge of data use and plans.
It takes time to get answers. Many are on different time zones.
Good luck.

A

AC Question

50mb of data on samsung galaxy s5

Spookdroid or madd54 plz answer, anyone else can answer too!!!! As read earlier, I plan on getting a samsung galaxy s5. I can really only afford the 50mb of data plan. I have wifi almost all the time (except) at school. I can't use the internet at school, so the data is really for emergencies! I also wanna use google chrome, for very light searches (300 webpages a month) (with data compression); WILL IT LAST???? I really want the phone and this plan. It's so convenient. But my wishes don't matter, I purely need your opinions, please!!! Thank you to all those who answered earlier, this will be my final post on this topic. Thank you!!!!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Last edited:
A

AC Question

50mb of data on s5!!!!! Almeuit, spookdroid, and madd54, and others, plzzz help!!!!!!!!!

This was asked 6 times and I'm really sad!!! No one is giving me a purely honest answer. I am going to get an samsung galaxy s5, with a 50mb plan. This is all I can afford, no one is giving me detail, only the 3 people stated above. I have wifi most of the time and I will only go to school without wifi!!!! Is 50mb enough???!!!?? Plz help!!!! How many searches on chrome can I do (with data compression/reduction)??? Please help me!!! I need honest opinions, don't be afraid to contradict with my views. Simply tell me, is 50mb enough?? Plz help me :-(

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: 50mb of data on s5!!!!! Almeuit, spookdroid, and madd54, and others, plzzz help!!!!!!!!!

This was asked 6 times and I'm really sad!!! No one is giving me a purely honest answer. I am going to get an samsung galaxy s5, with a 50mb plan. This is all I can afford, no one is giving me detail, only the 3 people stated above. I have wifi most of the time and I will only go to school without wifi!!!! Is 50mb enough???!!!?? Plz help!!!! How many searches on chrome can I do (with data compression/reduction)??? Please help me!!! I need honest opinions, don't be afraid to contradict with my views. Simply tell me, is 50mb enough?? Plz help me :-(

Hello.

50mb is sufficient if you're REALLY conservative of your data. It depends on how much data the webpage holds, which could be anywhere from 25KB to 300KB. This means you can do 3-50 page searches per MB. Again, it's hard to estimate since it depends how much data the webpage holds.

There are many ways to prevent this, for example, Opera Max is an app that is suppose to compress all data coming to your phone to enable you to save data. It also enables you to manage what apps use data. It is essentially a data manager. Your phone also has the ability to measure data usage. It is in the settings and it will keep track of how much data you've used, and what apps are using it the most.

If you're mostly on WiFi, you should be fine! Be careful when using data though, other apps might use it and drain your usage. You can easily go over it.

Also if you're at school, you should pay attention to your studies! :) I kid, I sometimes use data at school too.

This is honest feedback. Best of luck!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: 50mb of data on samsung galaxy s5

Yeah, 50MB is not a lot. But if you only want it for emergencies, you REALLY want this phone, and most of your activity is going to be with WiFi, then just set the 'cut off' limit at 50MB so that your phone doesn't allow mobile data over that limit to avoid overages and just enjoy it.

Just come to terms with the fact that in this day and age, 50MB only allow you to do some instant messaging, browse a few pages (I suggest you turn off image auto-download if you only want the content), and that's about it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: 50mb of data on s5!!!!! Almeuit, spookdroid, and madd54, and others, plzzz help!!!!!!!!!

Hello.

50mb is sufficient if you're REALLY conservative of your data. It depends on how much data the webpage holds, which could be anywhere from 25KB to 300KB. This means you can do 3-50 page searches per MB. Again, it's hard to estimate since it depends how much data the webpage holds.

There are many ways to prevent this, for example, Opera Max is an app that is suppose to compress all data coming to your phone to enable you to save data. It also enables you to manage what apps use data. It is essentially a data manager. Your phone also has the ability to measure data usage. It is in the settings and it will keep track of how much data you've used, and what apps are using it the most.

If you're mostly on WiFi, you should be fine! Be careful when using data though, other apps might use it and drain your usage. You can easily go over it.

This is honest feedback. Best of luck!

This :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: 50mb of data on samsung galaxy s5

Rather than creating multiple threads, wait a bit for other answers to come in on ONE thread.

Now your question is appearing to be SPAM by dropping it onto the forum every minute or so. And old answers may as well have never been posted if you don't use a bit of patience or take time to read the older threads you started.

The people here are volunteers and they try their best to get concrete answers out to everyone they can.

Your situation can not be so dire that a couple minutes waiting for a new reply will make or break your situation.

As for conserving data - no one here can know exactly HOW you use your phone. You can only garner general help tips from experienced users. There can be NO GUARANTEE of what your data use will be. If you are at all unsure of background data you can always disable or uninstall any apps you do not use - either Google apps or Samsung firmware.

Getting a high end device (one of the current flagship models) with a paltry data limit on a bargain plan is probably not the best idea to begin with. It's like loading a grape into a bazooka.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Just to add to this, there is no straight answer because there's no 'standard' webpage size or search size. It all depends on what YOU do.

If 50MB is not enough for an S5 it will not be enough for ANY smartphone. Both Android and iOS use background data depending on your settings (or Windows or BlackBerry for that matter).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles