Google and Facebook Syncing - is it as inefficient as it seems?

A

AC Question

I just replaced my phonne formerly a S3 with the S4 i lost all my contacts when this happened. I want to make sure this does not happen again.

First i imported all my google contacts and all my face book contacts and synced the aproperate ones. I was left with a bunch of facebook contacts with no phone numbers that did not syic with my gmail contacts even after i used the sync to google button.

If i manually add a new contact with a phone number for each friend that does not have their number added to facebook then i can manually link them with the Facebook account and the phone information at least syncs to google. This seams impractical but it does not seem to be possible to edit the facebook contact (even to add a phone number) I cant even type the number in select add contact then update existing. I also have to do the same thing if my contact has their number in facebook and i want to add it to google.

This seems incredibly inefficient and I'm sure there must be an easier way then painstakingly adding them one at a time. has anyone found a way?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I'm a little puzzled here--if your old S3 had all contacts associated with Google, then those contacts should have been constantly synced with your Google account in the cloud. So any new device that you log into with the same Google account should sync those same contacts--there shouldn't be any need for you to export contacts from the old phone and import into the new phone. That's the beauty of keeping your contacts associated with your Google account. The main way that contacts on your old phone wouldn't carry over to your new phone would be if those contacts were associated with the "Phone Account" rather than your Google account.

Or is the main issue that you want all Google accounts and Facebook accounts be joined again? If you install Facebook on your new phone, it should ask you if you want to sync your Facebook contacts. If you say yes, then I think your People app will automatically join duplicate contacts.

Sorry if I'm completely misunderstanding you!

flyingmongoose

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
The Issue is my old phone was never really syncd to google or facebook. (I disabled the function because i did not have any of my friends as google contacts and it was adding a bunch of email address i didn't care about to my phone contacts.) I was just using regular manually added phone contracts on the devices internal memory. So i lost all of my contacts when my old phone died mysteriously.

I now have the google syncing enabbled and any contract i create on my phone now is a google contact not an phone contact so i wont have this issue in the future. But because i lost ALL of my contacts I'm having to use what facebook provides for most of my contacts. I dont want this to happen a gain so i was trying to figure out of there is a way to take a facebook contract and use the data in that contract to create a brand new google contract.

I dont have many of my friends info in google so i'm having to fist create a google contact for each on and then sync it with the facebook accounts but it seems really silly that i cant basically duplicate the Facebook contact and save it as a google contract or something like that.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I was incorrect in my previous post--with Android 4.0 and above, there is no longer an option to import Facebook contacts and join them with Google contacts. Not sure why that function was taken away, but I'm sure there was some kind of behind the scenes wrangling between two tech giants.