S4 active screen issues (SGH I537)

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
OK I've searched the interweb for a couple days and cant find the cause or solution to my problem, The problem is when my phone gets warm my screen starts to act like the color saturation or hue is off badly. after a few seconds of that the screen will go grey with black vertical lines then eventually just completely gray. after i let it cool off (5 mins or so) it work fine till it gets warm again. obviously the problem is worse during charging and when gaming or outside in the heat. I'm thinking a new screen/digitizer is in order but i"d like to have other opinion from people who KNow more than I do about the issue. thank you very much for taking the time to read and respond.

S4 active SGH I537
carrier is ATT
non rooted

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Any idea how hot it is getting? Too hot to hold comfortably? Remember that the inside is probably much hotter than the outside.

How often does this occur? Once in awhile? Several times a day?

Do you charge the phone while using intense 3D games?

Is it in a sealed case, like an otterbox, that might be holding in heat?

Actually, I'm finding a lot about it on the web from a simple Google search for "s4 active overheating." Download Kies and use that to ensure you have all the updates for your phone. Maybe there is a firmware fix. Avoid using it a lot while plugged into a charger. Make sure the charger is the factory one and isn't pushing too many Amps. If it is in a very restrictive case, consider getting a lighter case.

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
it happens several times a day, not extremely hot but warm i can hold the device comfortably. gaming causes it or even if I'm just outside texting my wife while its hot outside.its not in a case whatsoever, the only game I play is clash of clans not really that draining on the system i would think. ill try kies and report back. thank you for taking the time to respond

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My pleasure to help. It definitely sounds like a known problem with your device. If the phone gets too hot it should shut down automatically to protect you and the internals. The heat build up may not be tripping the CPU safety, but may be disrupting the GPU. Here's hoping you have a firmware fix waiting.

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I also noticed that it really only does it when going from one app to another like from a game to checking my text message, i checked the temp just after it done it while it was still warm and the temp was 33.9 c that seems pretty reasonable to me but I'm not sure.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
33.9*C (about 93*F) does sound low enough a temp to not cause issues such as you described. However, if that is the outside temp it would be significantly higher at the CPU core.

I'd suggest continuing on with some reading under the Google search "s4 active overheating" and consider a warranty replacement if such is available to you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21