new but rooted?

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
last week got what was advertised as "new, unlocked" lg g2 d802 on ebay. long story short...because of some things i noticed, i ran "root checker" and the device does indeed have root access. questions:
1-does this mean the phone is not new? i am assuming phones don't come from the factory with root access.
2-is this why it tells me it is up-to-date running 4.2.2 and won't detect any OTA system updates like kitkat?
3-if i remove root can i "reroot" it at some point?
thanks for any info as this has kind of thrown me for a loop.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
last week got what was advertised as "new, unlocked" lg g2 d802 on ebay. long story short...because of some things i noticed, i ran "root checker" and the device does indeed have root access. questions:
1-does this mean the phone is not new? i am assuming phones don't come from the factory with root access.
2-is this why it tells me it is up-to-date running 4.2.2 and won't detect any OTA system updates like kitkat?

Welcome to the forums.

1. It could be new, but the seller chose to root the device.

2. Yes. Rooting typically blocks OTA updates, and sometimes gives a reading you are up to date.

3. Depends. Root methods often change from one version of Android to another on any given device. It depends on if there is a root method released, or even the current one is still valid.

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Was the phone sold by a private party or company? Phone wrapped in retail packaging?

1. Yes, if it's rooted then it won't be new. Can you also install other root only apps? Download terminal emulator and open it. Type "su" (no quotes) then press enter.

2. I'm not sure what the latest OS is for the G2, but yes, that could be a reason why.

3. Yes, you can.

Let us know if you have any questions.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Thank you so much for the quick responses! The phone was sold by a company and came in what looked like retail packaging. Not being able to get OTA system update and the fact that the apps" my wind" (Spanish) ,"SuperSU' and an LG app in Russian were preloaded made me wonder.

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you so much for the quick responses! The phone was sold by a company and came in what looked like retail packaging. Not being able to get OTA system update and the fact that the apps" my wind" (Spanish) ,"SuperSU' and an LG app in Russian were preloaded made me wonder.

Posted via Android Central App

I would insist on an exchange. If it was supposed to be new in the box that isn't supposed to happen. Sorry, I had the idea stuck in my head you bought it off of eBay or something.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
yes i did buy it off eBay. it was advertised as "new, unlocked". the packaging looked retail, that's why i'm confused. i just ran "root checker" again and got the message "congratulations! this device has root access!" i just couldn't figure out how that happened. guess i need to email the seller. the phone works ok but as a matter of principle, it's not what was advertised.
I would insist on an exchange. If it was supposed to be new in the box that isn't supposed to happen. Sorry, I had the idea stuck in my head you bought it off of eBay or something.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
yes i did buy it off eBay. it was advertised as "new, unlocked". the packaging looked retail, that's why i'm confused. i just ran "root checker" again and got the message "congratulations! this device has root access!" i just couldn't figure out how that happened. guess i need to email the seller. the phone works ok but as a matter of principle, it's not what was advertised.

Here is one big confusion: Too many people interchange the words 'unlocked' and 'rooted'. They are not the same thing. Unlocked would be open to take to any compatible carrier. GSM devices are the easiest example. To take a G3 from AT&T and make it work on TMobile. That is unlocking.
Rooting is gaining superuser or administrator access to the device.

Let us know what happens.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
emailed the seller(large hong-kong based company with a long ebay history) so i'll see what they say. i love the phone and it works fine(using straight talk without issues) with the exception of some stuttering when scrolling and the inability to get system updates..the other interesting thing is they sent me the 32gb version instead of the advertised 16gb version. to my advantage, obviously, but makes me wonder if they just made a mistake. i have no use for "root" but am afraid i will brick the phone if i try to remove root. thanks again for the replies!
Here is one big confusion: Too many people interchange the words 'unlocked' and 'rooted'. They are not the same thing. Unlocked would be open to take to any compatible carrier. GSM devices are the easiest example. To take a G3 from AT&T and make it work on TMobile. That is unlocking.
Rooting is gaining superuser or administrator access to the device.

Let us know what happens.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox