Nexus 4 battery drain

Clark Ye

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

So upon updating to Android 4.4 Kit Kat, my Nexus 4's battery has been atrocious. I literally get 1 hour of screen on time every day and the battery lasts between 4-7 hours. I am completely stock, and everything is turned on. I have heard from different sites that turning off location history and location reporting should help, but that would mean no more Google Now, which I actually use a lot.

I've only had the Nexus 4 since last September, so it cannot be bad battery health.
I will post screenshots sometime.

Could it be because of the GEL launcher I have installed? I wouldn't think so because the "ok google" hotword only works when I am on the homescreen, which I am usually not on.

Screenshot_2014-07-17-10-00-19.pngScreenshot_2014-07-17-09-25-25.png
For example today, SOT of 30 minutes and before that the battery has already drained 30 percent.

Screenshot_2014-07-16-22-04-22.pngScreenshot_2014-07-16-22-04-27.png
And yesterday, something completely different. My phone seemed to be wake-locking even though I set it to airplane mode!! It seems to be this way every day. Something new always eats my battery that I couldn't explain. I go on forums and articles and no one has an explanation.
WHAT IS GOING ON???

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! There's a lot of grey in your Mobile Signal--is that when you've turned mobile data off, or do you often have poor signal? Poor signal can kill battery. Also, Airplane Mode doesn't necessarily prevent wakelocks--an app or service may still partially wake the phone because it wants to refresh data, only to find that it can't access the web.

I usually keep Location Reporting off, which is not crucial for Google Now, as long as Location Services in general is active. Location Reporting supposedly can allow Google Now to get an idea of your commute, but if it's turned off, it still knows where you are, and will give you the correct contextual info like weather, nearby attractions, etc.

Try booting into Recovery Mode and wiping the system cache partition: Reset: Google Nexus 4 | T-Mobile Support.

Also, review this guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...how-tos/298919-guide-battery-saving-tips.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair