credit card swipe makes loud noise

A

AC Question

Hi,
Has any on else had this problem. I have a galaxy s3 and I'm trying out a swipe system called phoneSWIPE. I plugged the reader into my headphone jack. It doesn't seen to want to go all the way in. I checked and my case does not interfere with it. i opened the app and got a message to plug in the reader. I pushed the reader into the jack a little further and was prompted to swipe. When I swiped the credit card the phone made a very loud feedback-like noise that would not stop until I turned the phone off. Does anyone know what might have gone wrong?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
OK, let me check... Can I have your Credit Card Number, Name as printed on the front, security numbers on the back?
Just Kidding...

What does the noise you're hearing sound like? Is it the same as when you turn your volume all the way up? Do you see the volume rocker anywhere at all? Or maybe the sound the phone makes when prompting you to speak for voice recognition? Since you're using the headphone jack, there might be something that's interfering with it, a stray signal or a misaligned connector that sends the wrong info to the wrong pin, so it might be recognizing this as signals from the volume rocker or call button from a headset.

Also, if you say you had such a hard time getting this to recognize the reader and it only happened when you pushed hard, it MIGHT be that when you swipe the card, the jack is actually moving and getting disconnected. This might also result in a malfunction, kinda like stopping a data read/write operation midway by suddenly unplugging storage.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Then my next test would be to try the reader on another Android phone and see if the same happens. If it does, then you know it's the dongle/app. If it doesn't, then phase 2 would be to try and get a hold of a different S3 and try it there, since maybe this is a compatibility issue.