Samsung Galaxy s4 Touch Screen Does not Respond in Apps

rkim14

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
About a week ago my Samsung Galaxy s4 started acting up. The bottom half of the touch screen doesn't work/respond in any of my apps (Text messages, facebook, email etc). So I have to rotate my screen all the time to use my apps. However, it works fine on my menu/home pages. Problem is, not all my apps rotate with the screen so I can't use a lot of my apps now. Does anyone know how to fix this? I've never dropped my phone or gotten it wet. I've tried doing a system reboot twice because I was told that it was a software problem but its still not working. And my battery is fully charged. Please Help!!

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Did whoever told you it was a software problem suggest a cure? My own suggestion would have been, initially, soft reset and clear cache. Have you tried both these?

Posted via Android Central App

rkim14

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately not, my warranty ran up and it was too costly to fix the phone so I bought a Google Nexus 5 instead. I've been told that Samsung phones have been having more of these software issues because the increase demand of the phones has lowered how well the production of these phones are made, so that's why I went with the Nexus 5 which is running very well. Hope you figure out a fix!

Share the Luck

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

The trick that works for me is: REMOVE THE PLASTIC SCREEN PROTECTOR! The rest of this post, no need to read unless you are happy to read about the moment when my Samsung S4 gave me a near depression experience. Simply sharing the woes when techno hits me - a dumb user. LOL!

I am sharing my luck here. In fact, I am just an ordinary, mature aged non-techno savvy user of an android phone. This morning, I woke up and my Samsung S4 wouldn't want to 'greet' me. It had chosen to 'sleep on' and it annoyed the crap out of me. I heard myself cursing under my breath! I pressed everything on the screen hoping to wake it up from what looked like a 'hangover' from the weekend of perhaps over-use. It was already sluggish over the weekend, slow to respond to the numeric touch screen to open up the phone with the password. I thought, OMG - there goes, my baby! Early this morning, I read a few forum discussions and a few said when a phone behaves this way, 'it's a gonna'. Put it to rest or go and get a new screen. I had never dropped the phone once or cause any water/moisture damage. But my S4 just turned 2 years old and, therefore, no more warranty claim,

I had so wanted to 'strangle' it or even abuse it - like pressing its 'face' till it bruises. It got me worried that it had driven me to such a point of even considering abusing it - so not like me! I also fear toxic LED or whatever stuff that makes the screen face squishy might ooze out! So I spared it the cruelty. Instead, I used a damp soft computer screen cloth and gently cleaned the screen. It kind of started to flicker a bit intermittently. Then it went all black again. My heart sank. So I thought, if it is going to die on me, I might as well experiment with a few things before I bin it. By this time, I was willing to be a quack surgeon a step at a time...

My screen had a protective screen which is a bit sticky or yucky from overuse. Then I had a lightbulb moment. It went from intermittently black screen to a split second respond after I cleaned it gently. I thought if it responds briefly to cleaning the protective screen, why not I totally remove the worn protective plastic? So I gently peel it off and started to press my PIN. You guessed it - bingo, it responded to my first push but it a little less speed to react as if recovering from a daze. Then it responded to all my PIN pushes and another bingo moment! It allowed me to enter into our interactive little world that I have become so attached to that I don't think I ever know how to live without it. First thing immediately was to transfer all my contact numbers manually into a notebook - good old fashion way for fear of never ever to retrieve it again! Next I transfer all my pictures into a portable storage gadget - the USB stick. So yes, I am sharing the 'pot luck' here where I strike lucky today! Can't guarantee this works for everybody's phone - but worth a try. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34