Opinion - How best to use contract upgrade

anon(426594)

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi there. I wasn't sure what the right forum/thread was to ask this, so wanted to just throw it out there. I'm a Sprint subscriber, have been for years, and bought the Nexus 5 32GB full-price from Google Play several months back. Since I did not purchase through Sprint and therefore did not get any subsidized pricing through them, there was no new agreement, no new contract, etc, and I maintained my device-upgrade eligibility. My 2-year agreement was up in June, so I am technically no longer "on contract" and am now eligible for my 2-year device upgrade if I sign a new 2-year agreement. So my question is this: Should I proceed to purchase a new flagship device (HTC One M8, GS5, or LG G3) at subsidized price, sign a new 2-year agreement, and just sell the brand-new phone for profit?

Understand I'm not interested in switching carriers right now due to cost, and I prefer my N5 so am not really looking to exchange devices at this time. It just seems like a waste to not take advantage of subsidized pricing, since I'm essentially paying for it into the future whether my contract is up or not.

Also, my N5 battery life has taken a substantial hit since 4.4.3 and no better after 4.4.4. What gives?

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
If you really like the N5 and want to keep it, sure, you could get a new phone to sell it.

About the battery life, many have had luck by doing a factory reset after a software update.

Sent From Another Galaxy

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like a good plan to me. I might wait for the new iPhone to renew the contract as when that phone is brand spanking new you will get a very good return on your investment, I'd guess as much as $600 ($400 profit).

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
That's not exactly what I meant. What I meant is are there really that many people willing to pay full price for a handset rather than wait for their own subsidy?

Yes and no. When a new phone comes out there are plenty of people who will sell there current phone (M8, S5, G3, etc...) and pay the extra money for the newest phone. I plan on doing that with my S5. If the phone is $750 off contract and you sell for $600 and it's brand new it's definitely a good deal. Now the law of supply and demand is going to relegate most high end phones on swappa to be worth $500 tops but iPhones at the time of release are special.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20