Google Play Service Killing Battery

clemson77on

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
By battery is getting killed by Google Play Services this morning. Typically, my battery goes from 100% to around 85% throughout the 10 hours or so I'm at work. This morning, it went from 100% to 83% now in less than 3 hours. Google Play Services has consumed 87% of the usage. Particularly, Checkin Service is the main culprit. I've never noticed this wakelock before and I haven't made any changes in the past week so I don't know what has brought this on. See the attached screenshot. Anybody else experienced this before?Screenshot_2014-07-31-08-02-58.jpg

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Check-in service is new to me as well, but as usual, location services are the main battery drainers. Have you checked your locations settings? Were you using location history before? Maybe auto-checkins in Google+ or other services like Foursquare?

Also, try clearing cache and uninstalling updates to Google Services, reboot, and let them re-update on their own. The last time my phone did that, that was the only thing that helped.

clemson77on

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
It may have been the Coupons App that was updated. It was running location services for some reason. I've never had an issue with it, but after I uninstalled it and also rebooted, things turned back to normal. Thanks for the input guys.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Google Play Services is not killing your battery. An app which uses Google Play Services is killing your battery.

Many apps use Google Play Services for all sorts of "help" - this sounds like an app which is asking Google Maps (part of Google Play Services) for location data.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03