My hidden apps disapered (forever?)

Andreida

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,
I installed an app called app hidder (it needs root) , since there are some apps that I don't use and can't be uninstalled and some games that I don't want my friends to play. But one "genius"/ex-friend uninstalled that app, and now I can't have acess to those hidden apps! I tried to re-install app hidder and to acess them throw the play store, but it didn't work. I uninstalled one of the apps and reinstalled it, it lost all information, I can't lose that information (i spent a little fortune on some of them!).
So please help!

PS: i've tried to contact them, but their e-mail does not exist, so HELP PLEASE!

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If you go to the Play Store and choose one of the apps that were hidden, which option does it give you? Install, Uninstall, or Open?

I don't know exactly how this app works and why it would need root, but in the event that you had to delete/reinstall everything, as long as you're using the same account, you shouldn't have to pay for the same apps again, even in-app purchases. You would, however, lose game saves and that kind of data unless that is not deleted with the app's uninstall.

Andreida

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
When I go to the playstore I can't open those apps it only displays the "uninstall" button, but I can't uninstall some of those apps, I have very important information that unfortunally is only there. Is there any way out?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Try the following. Open Google Now (the app is actually Google Search). Now type the name of an app you hid in the search box but don't hit the search button. Does it appear on that list? If it doesn't, try with an app that's not hidden. Does that show up in the list?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
OK, now try this. Go into Settings, Application Manager. Scroll to the "All" Tab. Are your hidden apps there? If so, which options do you get when you click on any of them? If they're not, scroll all the way to the right and see if there is a "Disabled" tab and if your apps are there.

Andreida

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Yes, my hidden apps are right on there (on the downloaded tab) when I select them I have the regular options "uninstall", "force stop", "clear data", "clear cache")

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm all out of ideas here :( I would try to go to the app dev's webpage and try to contact them (I know you said te e-mail account didn't work, but they should have a webpage at least). If the app is AppHider, it does say that it has autobackup and restore after the app has been re-installed... Maybe there's an option about that in its settings?

Andreida

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Well, i quickly checked out their website and I only found the not-working e-mail, and when I re-installed that app first the password was restored to the original one and I could find anywhere my apps.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You could try installing Titanium Backup and see if that can backup your hidden apps. That way, you could uninstall and then restore. Maybe that'll help.

Just try it first on an app you can lose data from just in case hehe.

Andreida

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Ok, titanium can do the backup of the hidden apps I'm re-installing now the app.
But i found a folder called app-hidden backup that contains an xml how do i open it?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
So, backing up with Titanium and restoring FROM Titanium (not the Play Store as that would only install the app, not your data), did you still lose your data but the app re-appeared?

The XML file in that folder sounds to me like a backup list that AppHider would use to backup/restore its app list. As to how to restore it or if it's even the older list, I don't know but you could find out. An XML file is very much readable in any browser. If you have trouble reading it on your phone, just send the file to your computer and open it there. I doubt it's encrypted.

Andreida

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Ok, it just got a bit weirder... Now when I open the "ex-hidden" file it opens the browser, but it displays the app (with all data still there!).
It's odd but I can live with it. Thank you very much for your help, you sir are a real life saver :)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Glad you got it working. Then that XML file IS the backup. Now it's just trying to find a way, inside the app, to restore it. But at least you can get it working now and you could even try unhiding an app, see if it reappears in your launcher, and then rehiding it wit the app and see if it comes up within it automatically without having to open the XML.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20